cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Total Protection Will Not Install

Jump to solution

I recently renewed my subscription for 5 licenses to Total Protection and when I selected check for updates it said it had to remove my old version, it removed my old version, but could not install the new version.  Nothing I did fixed the problem.  Do any one know what the problem could be and how to fix it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Total Protection Will Not Install

Jump to solution

I finally got the answer to my issue, I worked with a tech and for some unknown reason, the software would not work with IE 10, we rolled back to IE 9 and everything installed correctly.  Thank Ex_Brit for your suggestion to ask for a higher level of tech shpport.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Maybe it corrupted somehow.   If it's listed in Control Panel > Programs click the Uninstall button, then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and go to your online account and install from there.

Meanwhile make sure your system is totally up to date including Internet Explorer, even if you don't use it.

If you have Malwarebytes Pro installed, temporarily uninstall it before attempting the above.

It's OK to install afterwards.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/10/13 7:25:33 EDT PM
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I ran the pre install tool and the MCPR cleanup tool, downloaded the installation file and I still can not install the McAfee Total Protection.  I even tried to do it in the safe mode.  Is there anything else I can try.  I need to fix this issue soon or cancel my subscription.  Is there a way to download the software and install it without going to the web for the install.  Any one have any ideals?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I see by your profile you have Enterprise experience...this IS Total Protection (Consumer) that we are discussing as distinct from Total Protection Service (SaaS) I assume?  If the latter then everything going before does not apply and I would have to move the thread there for better support.

If it is the consumer software then I suggest you contact Technical Support directly, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Escalate the case if at first they can't help.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I am using this for my home PC's, I talked to Tech Support and they suggested the same thing you did and then pushed me to a pay as you go support.  not very helpful support.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

We know you are using it for your home computer but is it the home software?  Are you installing it from https://home.mcafee.com/secure/protected/login.aspx?

If so you should contact Technical Support again and ask for immediate escalation.   Regular Technical Support would only recommend paid support for a corporate customer or someone needing professional virus removal, I find that rather strange that they would mention it in this case.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

You can obtain a refund within 30 days if you want it from Customer Service, also linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I have been working on this for more than 30 days, so now I have to either fix it or buy some other virus protection.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

They may make an exception, I've known them extend the refund period up to 60 days.

I just find it weird that it wont install, assuming all things (including IE) are up to date and no rival software installed.

Tech Support should provide one-on-one assistance with this, if they balk let me know and I will ask my suppoirt contacts to intervene directly in this thread.

Takes a while though, so try your way first.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks, I will try Tech Support again and let you know what happens.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community