cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khuffer32
Level 7

SecurityCenter Update screen stays on screen; Firewall Settings Missing; Cannot use MVT

I run Vista sp2 32-bit on a Dell XPS Intel Core 2 Quad 4GB RAM and I have SecurityCenter with no other security software.

I actually have 3 issues; however, I do not know if they are related.

1. Software Updated screen
    • Lately I have had the "Software Updated" screen pop up and stay on my screen (see image). I can click the "more" link and click the "do not show this alert again" box, but I cannot get a response from clicking "ok," and the screen does not disappear on its own. It does not seem to affect the computer, but it certainly is annoying, and I wonder if an update really did occur as this pops up soon after I boot up each time.
    • I have uninstalled and reinstalled more than once; it works sometimes for a few hours.
    • I cannot run McAfee Virtual Technician (see 3 below).
  2. Firewall Settings
    • Additionally, I cannot access the settings for my firewall. The home page lists the firewall as "on," but when I go to "settings," it is listed as "off" and the only settings available to me are "restore defaults" and "turn on" (see image). This is certainly an annoyance and somewhat bothersome as I have to wonder if the firewall is functioning properly if at all.
    • As I have mentioned, I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. This works sometimes for a brief period (maybe a couple hours), yet it always reverts to the state I have described.
  3. I have been unable to run McAfee Virtual Technician
    • I've uninstalled and reinstalled; I've tried repairing.
    • But every time the MVT gives a notice that some files are corrupted and need to be downloaded again leading to a perpetual loop.

SecurityCenter 10 2010.jpgSecurityCenter Firewall Settings 10 2010.jpgMcAfee Software Updated2.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: SecurityCenter Update screen stays on screen; Firewall Settings Missing; Cannot use MVT

Did you reboot after getting the "Software Updated" notice?  Normally a reboot cures any issues associated with a major update.

If you did and this is still happening then it's probably best to uninstall in the normal manner (Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program), run MCPR removal tool linked under Useful Links above, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Footnote: if you are in the habit of using registry cleaners, stop as this is often the result.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/10/10 9:08:06 EDT AM
0 Kudos
khuffer32
Level 7

Re: SecurityCenter Update screen stays on screen; Firewall Settings Missing; Cannot use MVT

Thanks for the response Ex_Brit. Unfortunately, I have rebooted after the updates. And I do not use registry cleaners. Also I have done an uninstall via control panel and used MCPR. In fact, I've done this this more than once, and then I installed via my account. Each time it worked for a short time, but each time it returned to the state I indicated.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That's weird.  I suggest you contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos