cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wixey
Level 9

SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?

After checking for updates in SecurityCenter 2013, I got the usual message telling me to close the interface window, which I did, but now it appears to be 'stuck' on 'installing updates'. Annoyingly, I can't check the status of anything while it's in the process of updating, but it's been stuck at 0% for around twenty minutes now and I don't remember having to wait that long in the past. Is this just an unusually large update or should I try rebooting, or something else?

Just a note - I eventually rebooted after waiting for around an hour or so and have run another check for updates; McAfee reckons I'm up to date now (Anti-Virus/Spyware is version 16.8.708, engine version 1698.0, and Anti-Spam is 13.8 content version 4731). I'll see if the same thing happens again with the next update.

Message was edited by: wixey on 11/3/13 2:47:21 PM CST
0 Kudos
31 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?

Sometimes, for whatever reason, the interface jams up, it's happened to me and I did what you did and rebooted to find it had updated as in your case.

Actually your are 1 ahead of me with engine 1698 so you are OK I suspect.

If you have any further issues I would ask Technical Support to take a look.  It's free after all.

See the link under Useful Links at the top of this page. 

0 Kudos
wixey
Level 9

Thanks for getting back.

Glad it wasn't anything serious, and something someone else has experienced. I remember a few similar occasions using the 2012 version, only that one would get stuck on 'checking for updates' instead. Rebooting fixed that as well. I wondered if this issue had been fixed for the 2013 version...

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I sometimes wonder if it's caused by a momentary disconnect from the update server - only a guess though.

0 Kudos
wixey
Level 9

The same thing - McAfee hanging while displaying "Installing Updates" - happened again this evening. After a reboot it seems okay but this is the second time in less than a week I'm wondering why as this used to happen only rarely. I've run the MVT and it seems to think everything's ok.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

The update issue could be server problems if it continues I have something you can try

0 Kudos
wixey
Level 9

The same thing happened again this evening, and again it seemed all right after a reboot. I'd be very grateful for any advice you could give on what to do if McAfee hangs during an update install.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I see that PeaceKeeper Stated in a thread dated Novembe 8 / 2013...

"The update issue could be server problems, if it continues  I have something you can try"

As I have stated, I simply allow my updates to automatically install..with no isssues. Having said this, I do recall with the 2012 Version I had an update issue. My resolution to the problem was to Restart, and press F8 continuously until the Advanced Boot options appeared. 

I scrolled down to the option " Directory Services Restore Mode (Repair)...and ran it and all  Issues dissappeared.

I am not suggesting that you do the same, for All of our Moderators "Dwarf" my knowledge. I,m simply saying that it worked for me on the "11.6" Version.....I assumed it was fixed especially running the 12.8 Version with no issues.

I assume that you are running Windows7 Service Pack 1, Fully Updated, Correct Time...etc?

As the Active Directory can sometime become corrupted in Windows, this seemed to solve my issue.

Again, Follow the Moderators advice and you can,t go wrong.....

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Have no knowledge of catdaddy's suggestion  other than it could reapair windows files maybe or go to a restore point my offer was another path to try.  I will PM wixey my suggestion as it normally is not given out publicly.

Try his way and mine if it does not work

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

As I mentioned earlier, the suggestion I gave was related to the 2012 Version-11.6. I obtained this during a call to McAfee Technical Support -  Tier 2.5  There has been alot of code written since, and this being the 2013 Version it may not relate.

Again, follow PeaceKeepers advice as they are more knowledgeable than I.

Wishing all the McAfee Community a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving...as we gather together with family and Loved ones, to count our blessings.

GodSpeed,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos