cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ppaskova
Level 7

Security center v9 (not 2009) blocking / stopping Google Desktop gadget when starts

Hello

After installing McAfee Security Center v9 (not new 2009 one) on Win XP Pro it started to block / stop one of the gadgets on Google desktop from inicializing properly.
Every time I start my windows it's giving me a message, after McAfee initializes that CPU Meter google desktop gadget became busy and stopped working. It does not do it when I uninstall McAfee Security Center. Smiley Sad

Please help

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

RE: Security center v9 (not 2009) blocking / stopping Google Desktop gadget when starts

Security Center 9 IS the 2009 one.

It it this version: http://desktop.google.com/plugins/i/performancemeter.html?hl=en ?

I gather it needs Google Desktop 5 or above.

Did it seek permission through a firewall pop-up at any stage?

I see that it has quite a few issues depending on where it's installed.

XP Pro...what? SP1, 2 or 3?

Try giving it permission:

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Internet & Network (top left)
Click Advanced (right)
Click Program Permissions (left)
Check if it is listed at right with full access, if not try adding it.

Also make sure that no other firewall is running, such as Windows own.
0 Kudos
ppaskova
Level 7

Security center v9 (not 2009) blocking / stopping Google Desktop gadget when starts

The version of my Security Center (as it says in "About" section) is 9.0 Build 9.0.286
But it a black box, not the latest red and white one that just had been released (the one version before).
The version of CPU Meeter is this one
http://desktop.google.com/plugins/i/cpumeter_8443.html?hl=en
Also my Google Desktop is this version:
Google Desktop 5.8.0809.23506-en-pb
I'm running Win XP Pro SP3
For this gadget Security Center never prompted me for internet / firewall access.
I also checked the settings as you adviced and Google desktop has full access. But individual gadgets are not listed there.

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

RE: Security center v9 (not 2009) blocking / stopping Google Desktop gadget when starts

The black frame is the new look for both the 2008 and 2009 products. The version number you gave is the same as mine and is the 2009 one.

I really can't advise what's causing this and perhaps you'd be best advised to contact Technical Support Chat, linked at top left of page or via the link in my signature. They are live and available 24/7.
0 Kudos