cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Center issues with Windows 7 (Ran Virtual Tech, lots of problems)

Jump to solution

I just recently upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 but when I re-installed Security Center, I downloaded straight from the website. But, when I went to run the PC Optimization Quick Clean, it would not let me save my settings. Shredder would, but Quick Clean would not let me push the save button. I have read on lots of bugs with this new software, and this definately has to be one of them. Also, I checked a topic about issues with PC Optimization, and unistalled then re-installed the software. This had no effect. Also, I tried to run the Virtual Technician, it fixed a couple of my problems, but it said there were numerous missing files as well as a slew of other errors that it could not fix. Furthermore, when I go to manually check for updates, it just keeps repeatedly checking for updates but never finds any (the progress stays at 0%). Has anyone else had these issues? or can anyone shed some light on how to fix this problem? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dinz
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 11

Re: Security Center issues with Windows 7 (Ran Virtual Tech, lots of problems)

Jump to solution

Hi,

Could you please let me know the following details ;

What is the operating system we use ? (Win xp/vista/7)
What is the version of NVIDIA Display Driver software installed in the computer ?

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

It's possible it's corrupted somehow and when you upgraded remants were carried forward to Windows 7.  When you reinstalled McAfee did you completely uninstall the old product and run the MCPR removal tool (see Useful Links above)?

If not, I recommend you try that.

It's also important that Windows 7 is totally up to date, especially with anything to do with Internet Explorer because SecurityCenter relies on it.

Dinz
Level 16
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi,

Could you please let me know the following details ;

What is the operating system we use ? (Win xp/vista/7)
What is the version of NVIDIA Display Driver software installed in the computer ?

Regards,
Dinesh K

Jump to solution

I have Windows 7 32 bit, and NVIDIA should be the most recent i would guess.

Also... I contacted tech support through online chat. They took remote assistance of my desktop and my problems ceased. However, today, I am getting the problems again. I'll try running the McAfee Uninstall, I didn't know about that. I will try and see what I can get figured out in the next couple days. (Kinda a busy time for me right now)

Jump to solution

Just completed the official uninstall of the software.. after reinstallation, all of the previously stated problems still exist.

Also, here is some detail to what VT is telling me:

Fixed: Registry entry problems detected (15)

Problem: missing files (26)

Problem: Missing/corrupt COM components (5)

Problem: Process(es) not running (1)

Problem: Services expected (1)

I hope this gives some additional details that will aid in the fixing of this problem.

Ok. Apparently the nVidia driver was not up to date. I updated it from the nVidia website and the buttons worked. Not sure that Virtual Technician will be resolved though. But we shall see how it turns out. If I continue to have problems I'll let you know.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP SO FAR!

Message was edited by: txlonghorns53 on 6/10/10 12:53:26 AM CDT
Dinz
Level 16
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Recently McAfee customers using the NVIDIA GeForce go 6150 display adapter with driver version 7.15.11.7967, or the NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nforce 630M running driver version 7.15.11.7991 are unable to save their settings in McAfee QuickClean.

This issue appears to be caused by code inside the video driver, which is still in beta. McAfee does not support beta products or software.

1. Click the Windows Orb, right-click Computer, and select Manage.
  2. If prompted, click Continue.
  3. Select Device Manager.
  4. Expand Sound, video, and game controllers.
  5. Double-click your video card.
  6. Select the Driver tab. Your Driver Version will be displayed here. If it matches one of the driver versions listed above, McAfee recommends you contact your video card manufacturer and obtain the last officially released driver for your hardware.

Dinesh K

Highlighted

Jump to solution

It's not only those listed Nvidia beta drivers.  I have Nvidia version 182.50 released as certified on April 2 2009.  There have been many drivers released since then however my Nvidia 9600 GT graphics card will not support dual monitors with any of the later drivers.  When I update to a newer Nvidia driver, the 2nd monitor fails to get a signal from the card.  With 182.5 all works well so I've stayed on 182.5 until I get around to replacing the graphics card.

The McAfee issue I inherited with the push out of version 10 security center was only fixed when I ran MSConfig and disabled the Nvidia driver helper on the SERVICES tab.

Jump to solution

Had the same problem.  This fixes it.  Assuming you are somewhat technical

THE FIX

- Start; Run; MSCONFIG

- Select the SERVICES tab

- Find the line for the NVIDIA driver

- deselect or disable this driver

- close MSCONFIG and reboot

- Check out McAfee, everything should be working fine.

That NVIDIA driver that's causing everyone issues is the driver to enable using the Nvidia GPU for computing operations instead of having the CPU do those.  It's a new feature Nvidia is promoting and one that's not really ready for primetime.  You don't need that driver at all.  Your graphics, the Nvidia control panel and everything else will work just fine without it.

Message was edited by: hbillsmith on 6/30/10 7:00:10 PM CDT
exbrit
Level 21
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Interestingly I don't have that showing at all in Startup tab.   This is with an Nvidia GTX295 card and driver # 257.21 on an x64 system

Jump to solution

I meant to indicate the SERVICES tab.  Sorry for the error.  I've since gone back and corrected the previous message.