cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slmurray
Level 7

Security Center and white box

I have been following here and doing online searches for this very frustrating phenomenon and have proceeded trying all suggestions including from this page http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101233&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777217&turl....

Nothing is working! I have chatted with McAfee support twice and have uninstalled (with clean removal using the tool) and reinstalled McAfee three times now...still the white box.

I am using Windows 7 and after finding out that I didn't have Service Pack 1 installed had to manually install it. I use McAfee through our internet provider Cox Communications.

This all started when my real-time scanning started having issues shutting down and not staying on. I removed McAfee then and reinstalled it, thus began the white box issue and has been one ever since. My computer seems to show that McAfee is working and doing what it does, I just have no control over anything.

Along with this issue my gadgets stopped working properly too (not sure if this could be tied in or not)

I also have Iolo System Mechanic 11.5 installed on my computer and although didn't have issues previously, wondered if these two programs conflict.

Any ideas of what other steps I could take to rectify this situation? Getting very frustrated. My wife's laptop uses McAfee as well and she has not experienced any problems.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Security Center and white box

There are many updates since SP1 so make sure Win 7 is totally updated and that includes Internet Explorer 9 (the default one is 8).   McAfee relies on IE to work and it must be at its defaults, so don't alter anything on IE.  Also make sure its add-ons are all up to date too.

Also System Mechanic is known to have major issues with McAfee software and I never recommend the use of registry cleaners anyway as they are absolutely certain to cause other software issues, as you can see.  So stop using it and preferably uninstall it altogether.

The benefits of those things are dubious at best and the drawbacks are very real.

Get Windows up to date and then try the 'Blank' link in my signature again as solution #1 there is 100% succesful under normal circumstances.

0 Kudos
slmurray
Level 7

Just checked my Windows 7 updates and it is current, also reset IE9 to default settings. As far as I know the add-ons are up-to-date.

Will try your link and see what happens and let you know. Thanks.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It's the link you already tried but doing it again may work this time.   Good luck.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Another thought would be to check if System Mechanic has a reverse button or restore function.

0 Kudos
slmurray
Level 7

OK, I already removed System Mechanic before you posted that. After hearing elsewhere and then here I decided to remove it for now. I have checked before for a restore point but they only go back so far. Sadly I think I ran a registry revitalizer tool at one time through System Mechanic and think issues started after that. My wife has never ran it before on hers.

I did step one and still am getting the white box. Will go through each step again and see what happens. Hate to do yet another uninstall and reinstall after having done it like 5 times already.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Well it was only a thought.  If no joy go back to support and give them the ticket number form your last contact and ask them to escalate the issue.

0 Kudos
slmurray
Level 7

OK, got to the uninstall/reinstall step but for kicks skipped it and went to the last step and when I ran the cmd only the regsvr32 vbscript.dll ran ok. On the other two I got call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8000405.

0 Kudos
slmurray
Level 7

Oh wait, I forgot to run that as administrator. When I reran it as adiministrator each one did fine. My bad.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Still blank?  I think Technical Support is your best bet then.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/12/12 5:51:25 EST PM
0 Kudos