cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fish26
Level 7

Real time scanning turning off/Registry items fixed

Hi, just wondering if I could get an opinion on this.

Recently turned on my Windows Vista-based laptop running SecurityCenter v 11.6. Firefox opened, stalled, froze my screen, then SecurityCenter said my Real Time Scanning was off. I clicked the button to fix, and it did, but the same message popped up again, and I got a Windows messgage that Real Time wasn't working when I restarted. I ran Virtual Technician and it fixed two registry items that were missing, fixed it, and it seems to be working fine now.

I'm more on the paranoid side when it comes to these things... is there a reason my registry items might have been changed/deleted to cause these problems? Should I be worried about malware? Security Center now says I'm secure and everything is working, but I was wondering if this was just a random hiccup or could be the sign of something more serious. Am running Malwarebytes now to see if anything shows up, but was hoping someone could weigh in on what might have caused this. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Real time scanning turning off/Registry items fixed

Did you run any kind of registry cleanup tool, or optimizer tool?   They can often cause registry errors and strange behaviour in not just McAfee software.

That said, it isn't at all unusual for MVT to state that you have registry errors as sometimes it runs a little behind the current version.

0 Kudos
fish26
Level 7

Nope, I hadn't run any registry tools recently at all... probably never, come to think of it. I'm hoping it was a little behind on the current version, but I had just updated Security Center before this happened, since my laptop had been offline for a few days and I knew it needed to be updated.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If you have sny more issues let me know or contact Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

But in this case I don't think you need to be concerned.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/11/12 1:13:05 EST PM
0 Kudos
fish26
Level 7

OK, thanks so much for replying... it's much appreciated!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK good luck.  If you need more assurance there are a few links in my signature below, the last clickable link there.

0 Kudos