cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnboy1214
Level 7

Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

I unstalled my mcafee total protection and reinstalled.  I ran virtual tech because the real time scanner would not stay on.  It says that 3 services are not running and that I am missing a file for the personal firewall.  Everything installed normally.  I am at a loss on why on a fresh install I am missing files and services were not started and I cant even find those services in my services list.  If I cant get a repair solution I am going to get rid of mcafee when I upgrade my system and go to Norton 360.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/02/10 12:03:38 EST AM
0 Kudos
149 Replies
Dinz
Level 16

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

Hi Johnboy1214,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused , Could you please provide the following information so that we could help you better.

What is the operating system in the computer ?

Do you have any other security software installed in the computer ?

How old is the computer ?

Was the computer infected by any malware in the past ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

0 Kudos
johnboy1214
Level 7

I have windows xp service pack 3

I have no other security software

The computer is about 2 years old

I have never had any malware.

I have only started having problems in the last month or so and nothing new has been installed except for standard Mcafee updates and windows updates.

I am attaching a zip file containing the virtual tech log.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi,

Please follow the below steps ;

Check and delete if you find any other antivirus software installed in add/remove programs and C:/program files and common files.
Click start – run then type services.msc, In the window that opens up check whether the start up type for all the McAfee programs are in started and Automatic. If not click on the particular service and change it to "Automatic" .
Click on the recovery tab (at the top) and select all three failures to be Restart the service
Click on OK

Close all open programs and restart the computer . and then try to update McAfee

Do report back if you find any issues on the same.

Regards,

Dinesh K

0 Kudos
jereuter
Level 7

Denish!

Thank you so much for this solution.  I have XP SP 3 and suddenly started receiving "real time scanner turned off" too.  I tried restoring to several different dates to no avail.  I deleted my Mcafee software then reloaded it but the problem remained.  I was getting desparate when I Googled a description of the problem and found your solution.  Lo and behold, it worked.  Apparently, it has not worked for some others on this thread, but rest assured that it worked for me, and I appreciate a technical professional like you taking the time to hassle with, identify and provide a fixin gthis problem and others that can be as this one was, exasperating.  I could have spent good money taking my PC to a local tech, or worse, deleting my McAfee protection in favor of another.  This scanning routine of off and on was draining memory and CPU time.  The distraction was driving me crazy.  I was worried that I was not fully protected if I just ignored it.

Best regards,

John E. Reuter

Attorney at Law

Cumming, GA 30041

Message was edited by: jereuter on 8/7/10 3:22:52 PM CDT
0 Kudos
abceliezer
Level 7

updating mcafee solved the problem for me.

0 Kudos
Rod_Neep
Level 7

Updating the software does NOT work for me.

The problem persists.

Rod

0 Kudos
jmatteucci
Level 7

I have the same problem on my laptop and tablet.  I run windows 7 64 bit on by laptop and windows 7 32 bit on the tablet.  No other protection installed.  I've run Mcafree virtual assistant with no luck.

0 Kudos
snehavenu
Level 7

Hi jmatteucci,

I also had the same issue with my McAfee product. I tried to turn on Real Time Scan and it keeps turning off again and again. I searched in Google and tried the FAQ, link is http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101225. As you have already tried Virtual Technician and got no result, you may save and run OAS tool. Windows Vista and 7 users should right-click oas-disabled-fix.cmd and select Run as Administrator. Please restart the computer and check the issue. The issue persisted when I tried and I tried the last step which is Uninstall and reinstall McAfee, which worked for me. Try the FAQ http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507 to reinstall McAfee.

Prerequisites to try steps above:

1) ensure that you do not have any other security products installed on your computer- resoulution: remove other security products and check the status or try the steps after removal

2) RTS will be disabled if you are getting any virus pop ups- resoulution: remove virus and check status of McAfee or try the steps after removal

If you have done a System restore due to infections, keep in mind that it will not remove any infections. A system restore bring backs computer settings to a previous date and thus it can remove the changes done by infection. However, the infections will remain there.

Real Time Scan disabled issue caused after a system restore can be resolved ny just an update of McAfee or running MVT and an update after that..

Thanks,

Sneha Venu

0 Kudos
jazzcat
Level 7

I had the same problem of real time scanning turning itself off.  I installed the Mcafee virtual technician (MVT) and let it scan the products installed on my comp.  It fixed all but one, saying it was a missing file.  I restarted the comp., and after about a minute, the real-time scanning shut off again.  So I ran MVT again and restarted the comp., again.  MVT said it fixed the real time scanning , but that I had a missing file.  So far, the real time scanning is still fixed, and has not shut off again yet (it's been about a half hour).  I still don't know what file is missing or how to fix it.  Will report back if real time scanning shuts off again.

0 Kudos