cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
everon
Level 7

Real time scanning is (NOT) starting up

Hello,

After installing the newest updates to Mcafee security center today (16/12/12) I find that when windows loads the Mcafee icon looks slightly odd and will not change to its normal icon unless i double click to open security center. Once Security center is open I always get the message " Real time scanning is starting up" which lasts around 3 seconds then changes to "Your computer is secure"

The problem is that the Icon refuses to change to its normal state unless I open security center which in itself indicates scanning is not running.

I ran Mcafee Virtual Technician which tells me there are two COM components missing. After removing Mcafee from my system twice and also running MCPR on both occasions I am unable to resolve this issue. The system is not infected and was running fine prior to todays update.

I include the MVT log to indicate the problem:

MVT Information
                      MVT Version                    :7.0.0.2358
System Information
                      Operating System                    :Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition(Build 7601)
                      Service Pack                    :Service Pack 1.0
                      Language                    :0809
                      Internet Explorer Version                    :9.0
                      Internet Explorer Language                    :en-gb
                      System Drive Type                    :NTFS
                      Physical Memory Available                    :4194303
                      Physical Memory Total                    :4194303
                      Virtual Memory Available                    :19433412
                      Virtual Memory Total                    :20847696
                      System Architecture                    :Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
                      Date Time                    :12/16/2012   21:03:28
                      Time Zone                    :                      GMT -00:00
Product Details
Product Name:VirusScan              - McAfee Internet Security 3 - User
Product Version:16.1.144
Language:en-us
Partner:McAfee
Health Check Details
                  Registry                                      OK                   
                  File                                      OK                   
                  Process                                      OK                   
                  Service                                      OK                   
                  COM                                      OK                   
                  Top Issues                                      OK                   
                  SYSTEM                                      OK                   

Product Name:QuickClean and Shredder              - McAfee Internet Security 3 - User
Product Version:12.1.120
Health Check Details

Product Name:SecurityCenter
Product Version:12.1.253
Health Check Details
                  COM                2 component(s) incorrect                     
                                Expected COM Component not Present                             
                              Component Name:  {83748e14-8f60-4ab3-8a81-7cecbe2b1cbe} C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\platform\mcbr3264.dll
                                Expected COM Component not Present                             
                              Component Name:  {f7520a2f-82e1-4dd5-a4bf-9d56bcf1d743} C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\platform\mcbr3264.dll

Product Name:Personal Firewall              - McAfee Internet Security 3 - User
Product Version:13.1.127
Health Check Details

Product Name:AntiSpam              - McAfee Internet Security 3 - User
Product Version:13.1.115
Health Check Details

If anyone can offer some help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jay.

Message was edited by: everon on 12/16/12 4:22:33 PM CST

Message was edited by: everon on 12/16/12 5:13:58 PM CST
0 Kudos
12 Replies
stanisluv
Level 9

Re: Real time scanning is (NOT) starting up

you need this file on Win7 x64 only. If you use WIn 7 32-bit then ignore it.

0 Kudos
everon
Level 7

Using windows 7, 64 bit so I guess it is indeed needed.

Problem persists, Jay.

0 Kudos
miguelgrado
Level 9

I also reinstalled twice but still the same although it seems that everything works perfectly.i

I also now after upgrading to the new version I get a health check COM details(same that everon).  the Mcafee icon looks slightly odd ,automatically until it displays correctly when login window appears with mcafee logo.

n at About says engine version 1378, but no dat appears only engine  date. Is that new?

El mensaje fue editado por: miguelgrado on 17/12/12 6:54:35 CST

El mensaje fue editado por: miguelgrado on 17/12/12 6:55:27 CST
0 Kudos
stanisluv
Level 9

Guys, can you find this file on the HDD?

miguelgrado, yes now McAfee can use few DATs. This is why it shoulds only engine version.

0 Kudos
miguelgrado
Level 9

mcbr3264.dll not not shown in C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\platform\ .all dats

all dat are installed every day as usual(c/program files/common files/mcafee/AMcontent/content...) but not shown in about...but only should engine version....is different ..

El mensaje fue editado por: miguelgrado on 21/12/12 16:39:57 CST

El mensaje fue editado por: miguelgrado on 21/12/12 16:41:58 CST

El mensaje fue editado por: miguelgrado on 21/12/12 16:43:31 CST
0 Kudos
stanisluv
Level 9

did you try MCPR tool?

0 Kudos
everon
Level 7

Since this thread was created i have updated to Windows 8 Pro x64 in the vague hope that this issue was just related to Windows 7 backwards compatibility. The issue is exactly the same or WORSE under Windows 8.

My new thread is here: https://community.mcafee.com/message/267821#267821

I have done the following to try to fix this:

Installed my system from scratch with new hard drive partitions, with a clean install of Windows 8. After installing the system i ran Windows update to ensure the system was fully up to date. Restarted the system.

Then installed Mcafee internet security suite, and restarted the system. Only to once again find a "odd looking" Mcafee Shield that looks like someone sat on it. This will change to normal after roughly 50 seconds or by forcing it by opening the security center which changes " Real time scanning is starting up" into "Your system is secure"

There are no other programs on the System with only newly made and empty partitions on my other drives, so this rules out infection.

Bearing in mind this is on a brand new windows 8 clean install (not an upgrade version of windows) on new partitions that are empty apart from Windows 8 Pro x64 I am left with the conclusion that Mcafee have NOT tested this update fully enough before release. I have used Mcafee for well over 5 years and never before have i had so many issues with an update.

Jay.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Also see https://community.mcafee.com/thread/50722?tstart=0

If there are problems use Technical Support as there is little likelihood of anyone from McAfee coming through here until the New Year.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/12/12 11:07:54 EST AM
0 Kudos
stanisluv
Level 9

He-he, actually all easy. Simply wrong path. The path should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\Platform So simply find the reg keys from report & replace paths.

0 Kudos