cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjfichera
Level 7

Real Time Scanning drops off / corrupt DAT files

Jump to solution

I'm using Security Center Ver 11.6 Build 11.6.443 on a Vista (Ultimate Edition) PC. Real Time Scanning keeps shutting Off.

Logged in as an administrator, I keep turning it back on but it's no use.  When I try to run a Quick Scan, it freezes at about 12% to 15% completed, and then says, "An Error Has Occurred - An unexpected problem occurred during your scan."

I ran Virtual Technician, which fixed 2 of the 4 problems. The log says:

Service: mcshield "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mcshield.exe"

Top Issues: DetectRealTimeScanningOffIssue

In the MVTHealthCheck log:

1 Top Issue

Top Issue: DetectRealTimeScanningOffIssue

Top Issue: Corrupt DAT issue

Suggestions? Should I reinstall? I think the original file I installed was dated 2/13/2007 (sasetup.exe), and I've just been getting updates since then.

Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Real Time Scanning drops off / corrupt DAT files

Jump to solution

Yes use the US or Au servers to install and you will get the latest 12.1 version provided you bought the mcafee product from Mcafee or a store. Partner's versions (dell or supplied by your ISP) will stay at 11.6 but even that might be a good idea as 5 years of updating probably warrants a clean reinstall.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Yes use the US or Au servers to install and you will get the latest 12.1 version provided you bought the mcafee product from Mcafee or a store. Partner's versions (dell or supplied by your ISP) will stay at 11.6 but even that might be a good idea as 5 years of updating probably warrants a clean reinstall.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

0 Kudos
bolter
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same issue going on.  I have this version from my ISP and am only having the issue on Vista, our laptop has Windows 7 on it with no problems.  I have ran MVT and typically come up with the same issue as you are having.  I have tried reinstalling 3 times, using MCPR, and not using it.  I have been on with Mcafee's tech support 5 times and each time they say it's fixed, or because I am wireless, or a multitude of other reasons, but it never gets fixed.  Sometimes I can restart it, sometimes I can't.  It's a pain.  I don't know what to try anymore.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

bolter recall and ask for an escalation 5 calls far in excess of what is expected to fix an issue. can you post your SR job numbers here so I can follow up with the techs as well.

0 Kudos
bolter
Level 7

Jump to solution

These are the three I have on file.  The other 2 were sent through my ISP since my fourth call McAfee wouldn't talk to me directly anymore since there was a "special area" to talk to through my ISP.  I have the other two written down somewhere, but have to look for them .  As the original post had said I typically get that issue with MVT coming up.  On occasion I have also gotten a couple of registry errors or this one

Expected Service State Incorrect                             
                            Expected : running
                            Existing : stopped
                              Service: mcshield "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mcshield.exe"
                                Expected Service Startup type Incorrect                             
                            Expected : automatic
                            Existing : disabled
                                Expected Service Startup type Incorrect                             
                            Expected : automatic
                            Existing : disabled
                              Service: mfefire "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mfefire.exe"

My last call I was on hold for nearly an hour, I will try your suggestion when I have the time to wait again just in case.

0 Kudos
mjfichera
Level 7

Jump to solution

So far, so good for me.  I did a complete unistall, download (my McAfee came with a Dell PC) and reinstalled to Ver. 11.6, Build 11.6.443. Did an update - and I haven't lost my Real-Time Scanning since.

Thanks for the advice!

Mike

0 Kudos