cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quarantine/empty or not ?

If McAfee finds a trojan or similar and quarantines it, should I leave it in Quarantine or empty the quarantine folder? I had a trojan that Threatfire found and killed before it got any further and then McAfee found one during a scan and quarantined it. I'm a bit worried if I empty the quarantine folder, the trojan will be let loose on my computer!! Sorry if this sounds a bit silly, but it's the first time I have ever had a trojan or virus etc on my computer and I'm not sure how to manage them. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

RE: Quarantine/empty or not ?

I would delete whatever is in there, unless of course it's something that shouldn't have been detected in which case there are ways and means of submitting it for testing.

Deleting/removing makes sense if only to free up disc space.
0 Kudos

Thank you for replying so quickly; that's put my mind at rest. Do you think the same applies to Threatfire?
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

No idea but I would imagine the principle would apply to anything that quarantines.

I trust that Threatfire and VirusScan aren't installed side-by-side as they surely will clash with each other possibly endangering your machine.
0 Kudos

Oh dear, yes I have Threatfire and McAfee total security installed together on this Vista home premium OS. It was installed for me by a computer techie who said that they worked well together.
0 Kudos

I also have Windows Defender enabled on his advice.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

As VirusScan and Threatfire are both anti-virus applications you are going to have to choose between one or the other.

The rule of thumb is only 1 each of anti-virus, firewall, anti-phishing filter and pop-up blocker, as duplicates tend to fight with each other and actually reduce your protection.

You can have several anti-spyware applications installed however, as long as none of them have any kind of built-in protection turned on, such as the "Teatimer" in Spybot for instance.

We recommend the free ones listed in the first part of this thread: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913

Windows Defender is OK - I use it too.
0 Kudos

Thank you Peter, I will uninstall Threatfire and rely on McAfee and Windows Defender. Many thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

SuperAntiSpyware (free version) is an excellent anti-spyware application and you might be well advised to keep it on hand too. Keep it updated of course.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
0 Kudos

I have now downloaded and installed superanti-spyware and done a scan. Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to help me. It's much appreciated.
0 Kudos