Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigJ
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 26

Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page

Thanks Peter your efforts here are really appreciated!

Jerry

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 26

You're welcome.

BigJ
Level 10
Message 13 of 26

Ex_Brit wrote:

Yes I just got that update too.  I have no idea why Shredder is limited in scope.  I guess they figure it's not too important.

I'll pass back these comments.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/02/10 8:28:18 EST PM

Hi again Peter I have one quick question for you. Are you able to install McAfee Online Backup? I tried several times after downloading said 100% and after a few seconds trying to install said install failed and to try to install again or use virtual technician which tells you nothing about online backup install problem. I know I do not have to have this installed but saying it is available for my McAfee total protection 2010 it would be nice to have it installed if I did want to use it sometime. Thanks.

Jerry

Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 26

I don't want online backup as I've tried it and even with my ultra high speed connection it would have taken several days to backup my personal stuff - the connection to their servers is slow, although I am told they are working on that.

I just attempted a download via SecurityCenter and it got to 20% before I cancelled the download so it appears to be working OK.

There are two ways of doing it - 1, via SecurityCenter and 2, via your online account using the Custom installation.

BigJ
Level 10
Message 15 of 26

Ex_Brit wrote:

I don't want online backup as I've tried it and even with my ultra high speed connection it would have taken several days to backup my personal stuff - the connection to their servers is slow, although I am told they are working on that.

I just attempted a download via SecurityCenter and it got to 20% before I cancelled the download so it appears to be working OK.

There are two ways of doing it - 1, via SecurityCenter and 2, via your online account using the Custom installation.

I understand you don't want to use it but I got the download all the way from 0 to 100% but it was during installation after a few seconds when it quit and said installation failed. I do not want to use it now either but having it installed doesn't mean you have to use it right?

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/14/10 5:07:22 PM CST
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 26

Oh, I understand now...LOL

OK I tried it again and it downloaded quite quickly  but the installation failed, no reason given.

Not sure why that is, sorry.  Haven't tried it from my account.

BigJ
Level 10
Message 17 of 26

BigJ wrote:

Ex_Brit wrote:

I understand you don't want to use it but I got the download all the way from 0 to 100% but it was during installation after a few seconds when it quit and said installation failed. I do not want to use it now either but having it installed doesn't mean you have to use it right?

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/14/10 5:07:22 PM CST

OK Peter I just went to my account and there was a line saying Includes 2 GB Online Backup but what do I want to click on? Options are Upgrade Storage or Web Restore.

Jerry

Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 26

You want to download your entire suite again as it will uninstall the old one, ask you to reboot and resume installing after that.

Use the Custom Installer if you don't want all the components (such as Anti-Spam or whatever) and check all items that you want.

It will then uninstall your current ones as I stated.

With the old installer one could just add a component and only download that particular item as long the basics (Firewall, VirusScan and SecurityCenter) were already installed but now it's different as the installer gets rid of any previous software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/02/10 6:35:59 EST PM
BigJ
Level 10
Message 19 of 26

Ex_Brit wrote:

You want to download your entire suite again as it will uninstall the old one, ask you to reboot and resume installing after that.

Use the Custom Installer if you don't want all the components (such as Anti-Spam or whatever) and check all items that you want.

It will then uninstall your current ones as I stated.

With the old installer one could just add a component and only download that particular item as long the basics (Firewall, VirusScan and SecurityCenter) were already installed but now it's different as the installer gets rid of any previous software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/02/10 6:35:59 EST PM

I am not going to reinstall whole total protection again. Done that 4 times already. Evidently you did not go to your account to see extra line that is under my total protection. If you go there you will see 2 options I am asking you about. If I download entire suite again I know I again will be offered online backup as an option. Please check your my account online to see what I am asking you about the two options offered, Thanks

Jerry

Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 26

The only 2 options I see are when the installer offers either full or custom installation and I pick Custom as there are bits I don't want.

That's the only other way of getting Online backup installed if the SecurityCenter one isn't working.

I'll report that by the way.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community