Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fs_fan
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

Problem updating a license

I was using a 3-user Internet Security Suite license, which expired recently.

This year, we decided to switch to VirusScan Plus, buying a CD with an update version.

We installed the new version (without uninstalling the previous one, as instructed). However, now the system recognizes the new version but continues to alert to the fact that the previous license is needing to be renewed.

IMO, the way to solve this is to uninstall the components that are part of the ISS version but not the VSPlus one. Is this the right way and how can this be made?

If not, how can this "conflict" be solved?
12 Replies
BalaSGS
Level 7
Message 2 of 13

RE: Problem updating a license

Hi,

I guess the previous version of McAfee was not completely removed from your computer. So it’s better to remove the programs completely and install them back from your account (McAfee website)

Please follow this KB Article: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

I am having a very similar problem. Two differences: I did not switch products, and I did not install from a CD but downloaded from the McAfee site.

Is my course of action the same: uninstall old and reinstall new?

Thank you!

-Sarah
fs_fan
Level 7
Message 4 of 13

Since there was no answer on this topic, I decided to completely uninstall previous version and reinstall the new one. It went ok one of the PCs, but the other one got a problem, which is McAfee SiteAdvisor settings "balloon" not going away, and I had to uninstall SA, but at least the "renewal needed" alerts stopped.

Thanks for your help.
BalaSGS
Level 7
Message 5 of 13

Not at all Sarah, I thing all we have do is try to update the McAfee software and verify the subscription by right click on McAfee Icon in the bottom right hand panel (system tray).
If you are not able to update the McAfee then we can try to uninstall/reinstall the product from the link Please follow this KB Article: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...33&id=TS100507

Regards
Bala
BalaSGS
Level 7
Message 6 of 13

Ok that’s great you don’t have any issue with the Renewal pop but are you still facing the issue with Site advisor? Did you tried installing the McAfee site advisor again?

Regards
Bala
fs_fan
Level 7
Message 7 of 13

When I reinstalled VSPlus I checked the SiteAdvisor box. Since there was this problem, I unistalled it and reinstalled from http://www.siteadvisor.com. However the problem persisted, so I gave up. I scanned the internet but found no successful solution.

The computer with the problem is a secondary one, with which I do not search a lot, so most of the sites visited there are trustful. This means the SA problem isn't a major issue, since the main problem is solved.
BalaSGS
Level 7
Message 8 of 13

Alright in this case make sure Enable Third party browser extension is checked under the Advance menu in the Internet option (Tools>Internet option>Advance Tab>Browsing look for Enable Third party browser extension)

Also make sure all the McAfee Add-in are enable in Internet Explorer
Please do get back to us if you have any more concern 🙂

Regards
Bala
fs_fan
Level 7
Message 9 of 13

No success. After installing SiteAdvisor and opening IE an options balloon appears. When I click finish the balloon closes, but another IE window opens with the balloon again... wierd!

All McAfee add-ins are enabled.

Hi,

Can I know what the version of IE (Internet Explorer) you use?
Do you use any other Tool bar in the system?

Most likely this could be an IE issue so it will be better if you can try running the Tool I attached.