cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lculling
Level 7

Not fully protected due to incompleted full scan - help appreciated.

Hi again;  If anyone knows any short answers to the following I would really appreciate it.  I now regularly get the message 'your computer is not fully protected'.  Reason given- a full scan has not been completed in 30 days etc.  It will not do a full scan now without freezing.

1.  Does anyone know if that means exactly as it says - my computer is not fully protected?

2.  Is there no support available from McAfee anywhere for this problem or others?

3.  Does anyone know if the problem is due to auto updates, McAfee or a virus attack or??

4.  I am not very computer 'tech' but my patience is gone & would like to continue to use my computer without hassle & safely - would my best solution be to give up the remainder of my McAfee subscription & change to another brand such as Norton as I really have no idea where to go or what to do.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
abarrfam
Level 7

Re: Not fully protected due to incompleted full scan - help appreciated.

Mine does the same thing.  I updated my subscription to McAfee and that didn't help either.  I agree with you, the support is horrible and the product does not work as promised.  You could try the virtual advisor I don't know if that would help.

0 Kudos
lculling
Level 7

Thanks.  This may sound strange - but how do I find the virtual advisor - is there a charge for it?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You can tell SecurityCenter to ignore the fact that a scan has not been done in 30 days.  There should have been an option given at the time of the alert, however you can do it yourself.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click Configure (left)

With SecurityCenter highlighted at top left click Advanced under Protection Status (right)

Check that item and click Apply and OK.

For Virtual Advisor read Virtual Technician - it can optionally repair certain things that may be wrong.

Only run it if there is a major problem as it can reset everything back to default.

http://service.mcafee.com/MVT.aspx?MVT=1&&lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1

Click on the following picture to enlarge:

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/19/09 4:56 AM
0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi,
Check whether the computer's date & time are correct ?
Try running the Virtual Technician as per Ex-brit advice , and post me with the session id so that I could review and let you know what is the problem.

Thanks,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos
lculling
Level 7

Hi Dinesh;

I've downloaded the Virtual Technician (was concerned that it might auto change something for me as warned previously & not sure how to deal with new problems).  It said there were no errors.  I checked FAQs that I was able to read, then checked to see if the problem had previously been 'ignored' accidentally at one time but not so.  I'm not sure if you wanted the id # or a copy of the info. sent to you?  The id # is 220282.

As to checking the time & date - all appear to be correct including the p.m. etc.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi,
To inform you more on this , it could happen if the computer underwent any recent changes like system restore.
I was unable to pull up the MVT log as it says its an invalid entry.
In security center you will have an option 'ignore' beside the error message, click on that and scan the computer immediately.

Thanks,
Dinesh K
Mcafee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos
lculling
Level 7

Once again, thanks Dinesh for the suggestions.  I have now clicked on the 'ignore' & tried a full scan - once again it partially completed it then our computer locked up & I had to restart it so it appears like I'm going nowhere unfortunately.

Elaine

0 Kudos
lculling
Level 7

Dinesh - just to add something to my previous reply.  I looked at 'Recent Events' & the most recent one there was 'Real-time virus protection was added' (July 30/09).  Does this sound like a normal update of some description through either Windows or McAfee as I really do not know what it is/was?  This would have been before we started having the message appear?  This may have no bearing on anything but as I said I am not too 'tech', therefore do not have any idea about this either.  I wondered if it could be something that was added & is 'fighting' with something?

Elaine

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi,
The event you found under recent events is just an intimation regarding the real time scanning which frequently enables on the computer which is normal as it monitors what is happening in the computer.
After you restarted the computer, what is the status of mcafee now? Is it normal or does it still say as not protected while restarting?

Thanks,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos