Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 31 of 42

RE: once more, a variation

System Restore and/or image restoration will mess up McAfee. If updates don't cure the situation then you'll have to follow these instructions:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

Quoting: 'System Restore and/or image restoration will mess up McAfee'.
INCORRECT.

You're right about about the Windows system restore thing. But restoring an image of an entire computer (in my case, 1 harddisk in computer, image stored on external harddisk) should work without problems.
I use Acronis, and I've never had a problem with McAfee and restoring an image till now.
Reliable Contributor
Message 33 of 42

..not according to a recent poster...however, I wont argue.

This fix worked for me...

...after trying chat support, then calling support and getting nowhere, I was able to try a suggestion I saw on another thread:

Go to C:\Program Files\McAfee\Virusscan\DAT\XXXX (where XXXX is the previous update number. Mine said 5318).

In that folder, delete all the files. There should be 3. Or move them to another folder. Make sure that folder is EMPTY.

Try the "Fix" button again in McAfee Security center or click the UPDATE button. Took 2 tries in the space of 2 minutes but I am now on DAT version 5533 dated 2/22/2009.

Hope this helps everyone.

T
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 35 of 42

RE: This fix worked for me...

I assume you are on version 8 of security centre? As Peter mentioned 1 poster said this dat way does not work. For how log has it worked ie this not protected is usually on not all updates only some.

I have SecurityCenter version 9, and this is how I solved my problem.
Although I did remove the entire DAT folder (I think), not just what was inside the folder. And I let McAfee update on its own.
Spence
Level 7
Message 37 of 42

I have just done the same.

Emptied the dat folder, clicked fix, and it now WORKS !

An I am on version 9.

Thanks to everyone here as well.

Also, I want to make it clear I am really, really angry that some people have been told to reinstall the whole program and others that they have viruses and should pay Mcafee to remove them, this has been reported by people here talking to the tech support.

Ex_Brit and the others here, I think you are great, but people are talking to these supposed tech guys on chat or phone and are being told totally the wrong information.

To be told they have virus and should pay or simply "hey, uninstall and reinstall" is a complete joke.

I have been with Mcafee for many, many years, and the problems since introducing this pay to remove a virus coincidently seem to have risen?

I think the advise offered by the tech people is a complete disgrace and I feel sorry for anyone who doesnt check this forum and goes through the hell of doing all of the uninstall.
Reliable Contributor
Message 38 of 42

Glad you are OK. Thanks for the update and yes, I agree regarding Tech Support giving those wrong answers. I've reported it and so has a colleague.

I suppose a DAT could have been sent out in a corrupted state and been the cause all along.

I guess I can mark this thread as solved?
Spence
Level 7
Message 39 of 42

From my point of view yep, I will know for sure when it updates next time.

You and many others here have helped me many times in the past, for that I am grateful and the above post as I hope I mae obvious was not aimed at you, your non paid work and assistance has probably helped most of us out of scrapes and issues in the past, and I feel you should be rewarded.

I always come here with my problems, not to the support, as I know the answers I get here will be realistic and welcomed, not so with the tech.

It is such a shame, Mcafee is an EXCELLENT product, have used it almost as long as I have used the internet and all bar one major virus has kept me running. I just feel things need to change on the support side of things to keep the majority of us with Mcafee.

Anyway mate, until the next time, thanks for all of your help.

RE: Exact same problem here

Just out of curiosity I checked the DAT folder. It is 75.5 megs. So restoring it will take time with a cable modem or DSL, will probably take a few hours over dialup as the one poster is using.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community