Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanaK
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 42

Exact same problem here

I've run the Virtual Technician on my home PC (on a modem using NetZero Hi-Speed access) and it has downloaded the virus sig update just as I did twice before downloading the V.T. It said it fixed the problem but the bang mark is still on the McAfee icon in my system tray and will not clear. I'll check the fix that was suggested and see what it says.

I run McAfee antivirus for networks and servers at my office. I hope this doesn't spread to there as well.

Dana

RE: Exact same problem here

Just checked both computers:

The problem free computer has DAT 5532.0000, last update 2/21/2009

The computer with the problem has DAT 5523.0000, last update 2/12/2009.

Note that when I update the "problem computer", McAfee runs the update and returns the messagge "Your files are up to date." However it is not actually updating them according to what I just posted.

Just want to add that I have also run virtual technician, which also said that it had fixed the problem and updated the files. But, according to the info in the security system, they are not updated and are an old version (5523.0000)

Problem Solved!

Went into C:\ProgramFiles\McAfeee\VirusScan

and deleted the entire DAT folder.

Went back to the McAfee program, hit "update" and after the update all is well.
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 42

That's a novel approach, I'll have to remember that, thanks.
DanaK
Level 7
Message 16 of 42

Tried the fix at the link you suggested Ex Brit and restarted the computer. It seemed to fix the problem at first so I shut down the computer to go to lunch but when I got back, started up the computer again the bang mark was, once again, on the McAfee icon in the system tray.

My latest update is 5526.0000 from 2/14 so I deleted the CONTENTS of the Dat folder and McAfee came back saying "Some components are missing. Please reinstall McAfee Viruscan." It's downloading something right now and it's very slow. I hope I'm not downloading the entire reinstallation file collection on a modem!
Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 42

Is it a rotating arrow? If so it's just updating. After deleting the DAT folder the user above said to select updates (from right-clicking the taskbar icon).

The installer only works from the actual account page.
DanaK
Level 7
Message 18 of 42

Yes, it's just the rotating arrow. It doesn't help that I'm surfing, or crawling as the case actually is, the Internet at the same time. NetZero's 'high speed' Internet access is anything but. Living in the country is death on Internet access because the telephone company won't update its equipment any time soon so we can get DSL and the sattelite accesses are expensive as hell.

Thanks.
Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 42

That's tough. It hopefully wont take too long. In the meanwhile I would try to leave it alone so nothing interrupts it.

Even with a 7mbps cable connection it took several minutes to update. Note that I did not delete the *contents* of the dat folder, I deleted the entire folder (including it's contents) as well. Update restored the folder and contents, all with the current date, which seems to satisfy the program so as to not generate error messages.

Like I said, even with a cable modem connection, that rotating arrow seemed to go on forever. I finally went and took a shower and when I returned it was finally done.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community