cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malky
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 36

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

Well, with the ongoing growing daily levels of spam directly mentioning my e-mail address which I am now getting since installing the 2010 version, and the seemingly nonchalant attitude of McAfee to rectify this situation, this will be my last purchase of their product. This would have been an easy fix for them, considering the original 2010 packaging states that it is there, which it is obviously not, therefore only leads me to the conclusion, once they have your subscription, you are of little interest to them as an individual, even if they are seemingly involved with false advertising to the detriment of the individual.

Regards

Malky.

Message was edited by: Malky on 04/04/10 01:46:37 CDT

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

The Personal Information Protection that we previously had in the 2009 suite was one of the better features that should have been continued or even improved upon with the 2010 version. It personally protected private information of my choosing from going out from my PC. I can not count the number of times that I was warned of personal info attempting to leave my PC and having the choice of to allow it or not allow it. It has nothing to do with the firewall. Somehow a feel a little more venerable. Besides that, I already paid for that feature and it was removed. The goal each year, with each new release should be to improve upon what works and fix what doesn't. It should not only be able to operate on a variety of platforms but be efficient, appealing GUI, easy to navigate, user friendly and above all us provide the consumer with the utmost in PC protection and Personal Information Protection was part of that. My son has a Programming Minor in this the end of his Sophomore year in college, so I can appreciate the effort and the amount of time involved it takes to get a new and improved version out each year. Please bring the Personal Information Protection back, it is truly missed and needed in today's computing environment.

Malky
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 23 of 36

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

Well considering that McAfee has done nothing with this, even when they have had plenty of opportunity, it shows how committed to the individual they actually are. They falsely advertised their software, but seemingly had no regrets in doing so. This attitude was reinforced with the up-date debachel. I lost the use of TWO computers utilising XP SP3. That was on the evening of 21st April. I did not find out until the 2nd of May why I had lost their use. McAfee had a duty to tell us, the customer, why, by utilising a media which we all had access to, and could use. I have dumped their crap for AVG at present. I am still waiting for an apology from McAfee, but I seriously think that "HELL WILL FREEZE OVER" before that arrives. I dumped Norton some years ago for McAfee, now it's time to scrap McAfee and feed it to the recycle bin. I even purchased Windows 7, but the 2010 suite and 7 do not get on with one another. On another subject I have noticed that with Windows 7, the word "Vista" shows in many of the links that relate to Windows 7. I think that McAfee may not be the only one who is pulling the wool over our eyes when taking our money and running.

Regards

Malky

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

To clarify, the feature discussed in this thread is the personal information vault, not Anti-Spam.  The personal information vault feature has been discontinued in the latest release.

The personal information vault allowed you to enter information that would be monitored and blocked from being transmitted over an insecure web browser connection.  This feature did not prevent this information from leaving your computer entirely.  For instance, it did not monitor secure connections, instant messages, or client emails.  Furthermore, it did not prevent information that had previously been transmitted to one site from being retransmitted to a different site.  It is possible that this feature created a perception of protection that  did not necessarily exist.

Related: there is some confusion around “identity protection”.  For reference, here's the relevant content from the (now  discontinued) 2009 retail product:

Anti-phishing
Alerts you to web sites that may try to steal your identity

Identity Protection
Helps you to shop, bank, and trade online safely

Put differently, identity protection in the security suites is about preventing hackers and malware from stealing personal data.  This is fulfilled with a combination of SiteAdvisor and SiteAdvisorPlus, which help identify and block suspicious and phishing web sites, plus anti-virus/anti-spyware, which detects and blocks Trojans and similar malware that attempt to steal keystrokes and other information.

On an unrelated note, the 2009 and 2010 products both support Win 7.  If you experienced issues, we'd be happy to help troubleshoot.

Message was edited by: Brian Trombley - fixed spelling mistake. on 5/7/10 3:52:02 PM CDT
Malky
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 25 of 36

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

Brian, I do not know what your relationship to McAfee actually is, BUT, I know what levels of Spam I am now receiving since the utilisation of the 2010 package in comparison to the 2009 package. This must directly relate to the advertised, but MISSING feature of Identity Protection, as these Spam e-mail quote my e-mail address directly. This was not allowed nor DID NOT HAPPEN with the 2009 package. Again, I will state the obvious to anyone who has utilised both packages back to back. The 2009 package conatined a pop-up warning if the Identity sub program was not being utilised. If there is no difference in identity protection between either of the packages, why the warning??

You state that both packages work with Windows 7.

Iolo Technologies has a well known program called System Mechanic. The latest version of it states that it is compatable with Windows 7 also. It is strange, that when running this program in Windows 7, where the McAfee 2010 package is installed, System Mechanic gives me a warning that McAfee Internet Security Suite is innefective. Now considering that McAfee were the ones who wiped out 2 of my 3 computers on my network with their update of the 21st, I tend to think I now know who to trust and who hides behind their "use of program conditions" when things go quite badly wrong.

McAfee seem to forget that "Manners Cost Nothing"!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Malky

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

I can tell you for a fact that in the Internet Security 2009 package the Personal Information could be entered by the user, whether that is a phone number, bank account info, credit card numbers, etc. and if that information attempted to leave your PC you were asked whether or not to allow it. It didn't matter what SiteAdvisor Plus indicated. There were many times that I was browsing on a completely safe site, Site Advisor Plus indicated this and my browser was secure, but I would still have a McAfee flydown box asking me to either allow the info to leave my PC or not. The info could have been anything that I had previously entered into it. I still have confidence that my personal info is safe, I just do not have as much control over it now, with the 2010 Internet Suite as I did with the 2009 Suite. I personally am more concerned with the type of info leaving my PC and knowing when that is occurring. Now, even though SiteAdvisor may indicate any given site is safe, just as it has done previously, information may still be leaving my PC, there is now no positive way of knowing. Since it is personal information I should be the only one to control what goes out and what doesn't. Please realize that I am not nit-picking, I love the new suite. It uses much less resources on my machine than 2009's version, the scans are faster, the GUI is up to date (about time) and it performs just as advertised. No major complaints.

MMhlp
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 27 of 36

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

In November I had bought a retail copy of Internet Security 2010 because the box said it included the identity theft protection "to shop, bank, and trade online securely."  It worked exactly as silvrstreek explained above,  until yesterday,  when after an update was performed that "personal infomation to be blocked" section of the firewall was gone, as was the backup and archive.  McAfee notes that the backup is gone and provided a download patch, but the prevention of personal info being leaked is what concerns me.  Is there any way to get back what I had until yesterday morning?

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

To reiterate from my previous post:

The personal information vault allowed you to enter information that  would be monitored and blocked from being transmitted over an insecure  web browser connection. This feature did not prevent this  information from leaving your computer entirely.  For instance, it did  not monitor secure connections, instant messages, or client emails.   Furthermore, it did not prevent information that had previously been  transmitted to one site from being retransmitted to a different site.  It is possible that this feature created a perception of protection  that did not necessarily exist.

A comment on this last message:

MMhlp wrote:

In November I had bought a retail copy of Internet Security 2010 because the box said it included the identity theft protection "to shop, bank, and trade online securely."  It worked exactly as silvrstreek explained above,  until yesterday,  when after an update was performed that "personal infomation to be blocked" section of the firewall was gone, as was the backup and archive.  McAfee notes that the backup is gone and provided a download patch, but the prevention of personal info being leaked is what concerns me.  Is there any way to get back what I had until yesterday morning?

The personal information vault feature did not provide "identity theft protection" and did not prevent "personal info [from] being leaked".  I appreciate how it might have been perceived this way, but that's not what it delivered.  Identity protection comes from SiteAdvisor and anti-virus/anti-spyware, which work in concert to keep malware and hackers from obtaining your personal data.

McAfee will continue to release products and features around identity theft protection.  This particular method of tracking personal information, however, is not one that I expect we'll pursue: it's not possible for this to provide proper identity protection.

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

btrombley wrote:

To reiterate from my previous post:

The personal information vault allowed you to enter information that  would be monitored and blocked from being transmitted over an insecure  web browser connection. This feature did not prevent this  information from leaving your computer entirely.  For instance, it did  not monitor secure connections, instant messages, or client emails.   Furthermore, it did not prevent information that had previously been  transmitted to one site from being retransmitted to a different site.  It is possible that this feature created a perception of protection  that did not necessarily exist.

A comment on this last message:

MMhlp wrote:

In November I had bought a retail copy of Internet Security 2010 because the box said it included the identity theft protection "to shop, bank, and trade online securely."  It worked exactly as silvrstreek explained above,  until yesterday,  when after an update was performed that "personal infomation to be blocked" section of the firewall was gone, as was the backup and archive.  McAfee notes that the backup is gone and provided a download patch, but the prevention of personal info being leaked is what concerns me.  Is there any way to get back what I had until yesterday morning?

The personal information vault feature did not provide "identity theft protection" and did not prevent "personal info [from] being leaked".  I appreciate how it might have been perceived this way, but that's not what it delivered.  Identity protection comes from SiteAdvisor and anti-virus/anti-spyware, which work in concert to keep malware and hackers from obtaining your personal data.

McAfee will continue to release products and features around identity theft protection.  This particular method of tracking personal information, however, is not one that I expect we'll pursue: it's not possible for this to provide proper identity protection.

Brian, This was your quote, so if that is the case the personal information vault was useless which is probably why it was discontinued. If I remember correctly that was the purpose behind the Personal Information Vault, to protect any personal info that was entered into it from leaving your PC unless one permitted it. I understand what you are saying now and somewhat agree. SiteAdvisor is a fantastic tool, I use it in it's protected mode. That along with the entire 2010 suite should provide a very secure computing enviroment. But the fact is that with the 2009 suite including SiteAdvisor I still had information leaving my PC when on safe sites (According to SiteAdvisor) and I had a flydown box appear each time this ocurred asking me to allow or not allow said information from being transmitted over the internet. SiteAdvisor should be used in protected mode for the best protection. I've used McAfee a long time, long before I ever joined this forum and I have never any PUP's, viruses or malicious software infect my PC's. We can quibble about features but the bottom line is it works, period.

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback...

silvrstreek wrote:

Brian, This was your quote, so if that is the case the personal information vault was useless which is probably why it was discontinued. If I remember correctly that was the purpose behind the Personal Information Vault, to protect any personal info that was entered into it from leaving your PC unless one permitted it. I understand what you are saying now and somewhat agree. SiteAdvisor is a fantastic tool, I use it in it's protected mode. That along with the entire 2010 suite should provide a very secure computing enviroment. But the fact is that with the 2009 suite including SiteAdvisor I still had information leaving my PC when on safe sites (According to SiteAdvisor) and I had a flydown box appear each time this ocurred asking me to allow or not allow said information from being transmitted over the internet. SiteAdvisor should be used in protected mode for the best protection. I've used McAfee a long time, long before I ever joined this forum and I have never any PUP's, viruses or malicious software infect my PC's. We can quibble about features but the bottom line is it works, period.

Community Help Hub

    New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

  • Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

    Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

  • Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community