Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 181 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Somer,

The SR is 740728174.  By the way, right now, everything is very slow.  Page File is up around 900 meg to a gig and cpu is jumping around from about 20% to 80%.  I'll reboot and see what happens.

Dave

Highlighted
Level 12
Message 182 of 261

Thanks Dave, I'm looking it up, seeing what's going on.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 183 of 261

Somer,

Sending a PM.  I received a response from Tier 2, and would like your feedback on it.

Thanks,

Dave

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 184 of 261

Somer,

Well, I have gotten through to Tier 2 support, but all they want is remote access and to take the PC.  I don't allow that.  I have asked them to tell me what logs or other information I can supply them, but all they keep saying is that they have to get the PC to see what is wrong. 

If they would let me know what they need besides remote access screen-sharing, I would be happy to provide that data to them.  So far, nothing yet.

The original Service Request was 484570-740728174.  The one from just now was 742167211.

I'm still open to providing whatever information I can to assist, but at this point I guess I will just pull back, observe and hope something is found.

Dave

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 185 of 261

It got worse and I had to allow support access to my PC.   They grabbed some logs off it and have sent them further up the ladder to be researched.  Wishing for a cure to this problem soon!

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 186 of 261

After taking McAfee Total Protection down in mid-December 2011, I went through about three month's worth of hardware and software fixes.  The original problem was where, no matter what I was doing, I would hang and freeze up.  ( The same symptoms were presented back in 2010, which were alleviated when a fix was put on Total Protection in October of that year ).  Sometimes it would recover and sometimes a reboot was required.  Here are some of the items that were changed:

1.) Ran a number of different scans which didn't find anything malicious.
2.) Ran through an XP repair, which helped, but didn't get rid of the hang.
3.) Added RAM so that I am now at just under 2 Gig. Made quite a noticable difference in response, but again didn't get rid of the hang.
4.) Replaced a DVD drive, which took CD ROM errors out of the mix, but didn't get rid of the hang.
5.) Removed VMWare from my PC ( around 500 files and registry entries ). The removal of VMWare seems to be what removed the hangs and freezes.

So now, my PC is back and running fine with Total Protection active on it again.   

Highlighted

Can you elaborate as to what the issue was exactly and how it manifested itself? was it high cpu usage by mcshield or more than that?

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 188 of 261

Hi Tony,

Yes, it was high cpu by mcshield.exe, same as back in 2010.  The October 2010 fix gave me 7 months of regular PC usage, then the same issues cropped up beginning of June 2011.  I waited a couple of weeks before saying anything on this forum as I wanted to make sure that I was seeing the same thing, which I was.  If you go back, the same thing was happening again to other users such as Islandgirl. 

The problem that I ran into trying to pin down the root cause was that the collection of data for analysis by Tier 2 was haphazard.  For one thing, they were not specific in saying what data they wanted to collect, except that it was several logs, and kept wanting to get on my PC remotely for two hours which I don't usually allow.  The problem got bad enough where Tier 2 got on a couple of times, retrieved logs and sent them back for analysis, but could never get their event -trapping tool to work correctly, so the second part of what they said they wanted to do was never done. 

All this time, i had been communicating with Somer, so she was well-aware of what was going on, and was copied on most of my email communication with Tier 2. 

In mid-December 2011, I had had enough, and got McAfee off my PC while I went off in another direction to try to find the solutions necessary to fix my swapping-out problems.

The actions listed above have taken me nearly three months to get through, first being a thorough checkup for any malware which found no offenders, then a re-do on the malware, then on to the hardware and software resets as described.  I thought the XP repair a pretty drastic idea, but it turned out that it gave me a better response, so obviously, there was unknown damage there.  The RAM expansion and the DVD drive replacement were both good corrections that took them out of possible items that were causing the hangs/freezes.  The final item was the VMWare software which I had put on my PC for a work project.  Seems to be the last thing that was on OLT as an offender, and as soon as that was removed, my PC was back in business, and I am now back running under McAfee Total Protection retail. 

Time will tell if these actions were enough to do the trick, but you also have to remember that I didn't have McAfee active on my PC while I was undergoing this cleanup process.   So, it will now be a period of monitoring my PC to make sure that response stays as good as it is right now. 

Can you tell me if there was anything found within Total Protection in the last three months that could have been causing issues with either the shield or agent tasks?   

Highlighted

Nothing I am so desperate that I asked them here https://community.mcafee.com/message/231205#231205  if they have vmware.

Mcafee cannot repro this not can I an the family's 9 installs over several OSs

We are at a loss at this time though I am still actively pushing this issue to Macfee.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 190 of 261

Yes, I am happy to see that you are one of the people still trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

One thing I mentioned is that Tier 2 had hoped to go through a 2-phase approach to taking a look at what was going on in my case.  It was to collect McAfee logs and second was to set up a Debug Diagnosis collection concentrating on the mcshield.exe task, but this second piece was never able to be set up and collected.  That might be something to check into.

Have you or your colleagues done anything with Event Viewer ?  If so, anything positive ?

This second occurrence in 2011 began for me in the few first days of June.  I was wondering about updates that were issued in the first few days of June, and if anyone had ever taken time to go back there to see what the updates were being applied to as far as which pieces, modules, parts of Total Protection were being updated?

Last for tonight:  While I am ecstatic that my PC is very well-tuned at this time, that is no guarantee that I am never again going to have issues with mcshield or other parts of Total Protection.  I would also like to get to the bottom of this thing.  Let me know if you need any help that I can give you.    

Dave

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community