cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mcafee Internet Security - can't check for updates

Jump to solution

Try an uninstall via COntrol Panel, run MCPR, reboot and reinstall from the online account again.

ryohija
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 42 of 51

Jump to solution

So, are the answers to my questions that I have a bad installation, and I'm really not protected even though the Security Center console is all "Green"?

Jump to solution

Because 6811 is showing on the Enterprise website it doesn't mean you are behind having 6809.  They always get theirs long before consumers and that's assuming it's been released to the servers, something I simply don't know, it may well have not been released yet.

If you want to try and install it go ahead, but as long as your SecurityCenter is green, you are OK.   Just download the .exe and install it, simple as that.

ryohija
Level 7
Message 44 of 51

Jump to solution

OK, I'll just leave things as they are, and hopefully the update will roll through with no problems.  (I'm really not wanting to uninstall and reinstall again.)

Jump to solution

Just to test it I downloaded and installed 6811 from the Enterprise site and it works fine.   But really all that achieved was I jumped the gun on the servers.

atmac
Level 7
Message 46 of 51

Jump to solution

I had the problems over the weekend with - Your programs are up to date.

I uninstalled, used the MCPR tool and then redownloaded from my account at mcafee website(3.30PM 21/08/2012).  I now have dat 6809.0000 but still get the same response today when I try to update today - Your programs are up to date.

Come on McAfee, over 3 days with the same problem. This is taking up my normal work time.

HELP

Message was edited by: atmac on 22/08/12 07:16:51 CDT

Jump to solution

You ARE up to date.   You are no doubt looking at the posted DAT for Enterprise.   That always takes a while to filter through to Consumer products.  Give it time.

albertl
Level 8
Message 48 of 51

Jump to solution

I wanted to note that the volunteer moderators here are not McAfee - they're users, just like us (but a lot more knowledgeable than me!), who are just trying to help fellow users.

I too am pretty angry about this debacle - after all, McAfee managed to do it itself (and its users) what malware writers everywhere would love to do: stealthily disable protection updates!  And I'm very disturbed that the reassuring check mark and green "Your computer is secure (no action required)" message still appears even though updating has failed - that's a flaw even worse than the bum update and really must be fixed.  The only way I found out about the problem was when I just happened to try initiating an update manually.  I rarely do that, so I could have gone indefinitely with no warning that my protection was out of date.

But the moderators have been the real heroes in this, keeping on top of the situation and sharing information even while dealing with the problem on their own systems.

verno
Level 7
Message 49 of 51

Jump to solution

Don't feel bad, i spent all afternoon and most the night to get my Windows XP machine working. I also had to uninstall Malwarebytes prior to downloading the new and improved version because after I thought I had everything working and reset the computer McAfee tried to reinstall and magnificently crashed. Oh boy start over! The servers were so overloaded it took forever to install on my economy version DSL through AT&T. It would get to about 50% and reset to 20%. I finally opened Firefox to keep the internet active while McAfee downloaded at a snails pace. Finally made it about midnight. Rebooted a couple times and checks OK so far. Spent 1 hour waiting for an AT&T tech because I had no clue why I had no internet access. Went through standard network settings and Modem reset, lights ect. then says to uninstall McAfee. Walla internet works. Transfers me to McAfee and wait 1.5 hours for tech. In the mean time I did it myself.

Intel must be thrilled with McAfee. Futer shock is here. McAfee should release news media info on these kind of problems.

ryohija
Level 7
Message 50 of 51

Jump to solution

I ended up contacting online support, who fixed the problem by running the MCPR tool to remove everything, and then reinstall.  My DAT version showed 6809 once the tech support was completed.  Later yesterday, McAfee performed an automatic update and I received no error messages from that.  So, for now, the Suite is working like it should.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community