Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 421 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hi Creature

Well I have now gone 3 days without seeing the error message, has this cleared? This is now the 4th day see what happens again.

Highlighted

Hi Nisa,

I can not guarantee that the problem was solved.
I can only answer for me. It's almost two weeks,
since I did not get the error. This occurred after the upgrade.
Now, with your testimony, I think that for some users,
who have upgraded, apparently, the problem is resolved.
We have to know the people who are still having trouble,
if they have not upgraded. Please keep me updated.

Regards

Highlighted

So your issue could have been the network agent issue. The powers that be say there are several issues here and they are working on them. Sorry

Highlighted

Hi Peacekeeper,

Can you tell me if the causes of the problem depends also on the computer configuration?

Regards

Message was edited by: creature_of_hell on 4/26/10 4:19:35 PM CDT
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 425 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

Why do you keep trying to pin the problem on networking? Plenty of people are not networked to anything, and still the problem persists. Even if it were that, it is not our responsibility to fix it - it is McAfee's responsibility. Two months worth of excuses with no solution is disgraceful. I'm happy to say that I uninstalled the product a couple of days back, and returned the disks today to the store where purchased, along with an explanation of what has transpired. They were truly shocked to hear what we, the users, have gone through and gladly gave me a full refund.

Highlighted

Peacekeeper,

Why do you
keep trying to pin the problem on networking? Plenty of people are not
networked to anything, and still the problem persists. Even if it were
that, it is not our responsibility to fix it - it is McAfee's
responsibility. Two months worth of excuses with no solution is
disgraceful. I'm happy to say that I uninstalled the product a couple of
days back, and returned the disks today to the store where purchased,
along with an explanation of what has transpired. They were truly
shocked to hear what we, the users, have gone through and gladly gave me
a full refund.

Not me saying that I am just saying what Mcafee says. mThe network agent is still active I assume even if you have no network. I agree time is passing and still not definite anser but as I mentioned some appear to have got closure with the update (recent) but others are still plodding on.

We mentioned it again today still work in progress. Sorry to lose you for a minor but annoying issue

creature

Can you tell me if the causes of the problem depends also on the
computer configuration?

Not that I know. As mentione dmy kids have 5 installs on xp sp3 with 2010 on it and all stable. There is some common thing here but what is past me

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/04/10 2:39:22 PM
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 427 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

I'm still receiving the error message on shutdown.

I have been having this problem since my Mcafee Total Protection was totally updated from 2009 version  to 2010 version.

I'm running Microsoft XP home edition SP3.

2 GB of Ram

CPU: 2.5 GHz AMD Athlon

My Mcafee is up-to-date with the most recent security updates.

I even checked for updates on this date (04-27-10) and had updates downloaded and installed successfully.

To complete the installation I had to restart.  I clicked on the option to restart automatically.

Computer re-started back up, loaded desktop icons...etc with no problem.

I attempted to shutdown after 3 1/2 hours of computer use (internet, application...etc) to verify if still receiving shutdown error.

Unfornuately, still receiving message on shutdown.

So far I an not having any issues while using my computer, applications, printing, internet surfing...etc.

Question?

Has the engineers at Mcafee pinpointed what is causing the problem?

Will there be an automatic update to correct this problem in the near future?

I read from other posts about a beta copy which was causing some users to have issues after installation.

I don't want to download and install this beta copy to my computer and then start having issues.

Highlighted

Question?

Has the engineers at Mcafee pinpointed what is
causing the problem?

Will there be an automatic update to correct
this problem in the near future?

I read from other posts about a
beta copy which was causing some users to have issues after
installation.

I don't want to download and install this beta copy
to my computer and then start having issues.

1. I fear there are many issues though as Peter mentioned maybe the timing of shutdown could help. that requires a registry edit and our admin will contact 1 of you to test this.

2. Sorry cannot say maybe the timing idea might help

3. Not that I see had beta for 4 years rare to cause issue

4.Do not bother we have 2 users here with it and issue still there Our tech asking developers why they said issue fixed will get back to you

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 429 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

Checking out the beta copy on my second drive earlier this evening, the PC twice shut down with no error message.  This was running IE6 on XP SP3.

I then reinstalled IE8 and immediately ran into trouble with this forum.  It was displaying totally rubbish, with parts overlapping and allsorts.  Strange thing is, that it was only on this forum.  Any other website was fine, even the main McAfee site.  I clicked the compatability button, then hit refresh and it sorted itself out.  Restarting with IE8 gave the error message every time that I either shut down or restarted.

Back on this primary hard disk and main XP installation with SP3 and IE8, no problems with the displaying of the forum.  However, I found that McAfee had disappeared from my hard disk, yet still appeared in control panel (add/remove programs) and all the entries were still in the registry.  Very strange.  I ran the removal tool put the CD in and did a new clean install from the web, which took about an hour to run through.  So this released version now has the latest updates.  When I both shut down the computer and after restarting, rebooted it, the error message failed to appear.

Having said that, it will probably appear when I shut down after this session.

So, to summarise:

As far as the beta installation goes,  no errors on shutdown/reboot with IE6 installed, but error message appeared every time I rebooted or shut down after re-installing IE8.

Official release copy, freshly reinstalled tonight with latest of everything has not yet given any error messages.

The two attached screenshot clips show the status of the release version and the beta version, along with task manager showing running processes at the time.

Message was edited by: ajmitch on 27/04/10 18:01:49 CDT
Highlighted

Seems 2 times not enough to assume anything I think the other user went more times before it returned. The size showing for mcsvhopst is variable depends on use at the time. Mine on the beta say 9160 atm.

Readers I assume this on both forms of XP ie home and pro?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community