Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

One more question?

Running Windows XP SP3 - recently McAfee Total Protection was updated to the 2010 version and now everytime I shutdown my PC, I get a dialog box saying McSvHost.exe can't access a reference in memory (or something to that effect)."

Did you uninstall 2009 version completely before installing 2010? 

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 12 of 1,143

Neither of mine were updates from 2009, both were fresh installs with no previous mcafee.  I think someone else that posted was an upgrade from 2009, but not me. Cheers

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 13 of 1,143

Oops  .

I am sorry. I thought it was Graffin .

I'll get back to you on Monday with a work around.

Thanks in advance...

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 14 of 1,143

I cannot wait for their solution. It's been several days without any conclusion.

To prevent the problem when shuting down the system, I totally removed the Mcafee which I just bought one week.

I just decide to switch back to Trend (which I used for the past 2 years) and now everything is back to normal.

So bye bye Mcafee.

Highlighted

Good luck Jason though I would have thought ending the task each shutdown and waiting would not have been a big issue though I also see your point.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 16 of 1,143

I still have the problem of McSvHost memory cannot be written appearing from time to time at shutdown immediately AFTER

the WINDOWS IS CLOSING message on windows XP.

No doubt, the problem comes from the new 2010 software, and an update would be necessary. Because McAfee has to provide

PERFECTION.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 17 of 1,143

A lot of McAfee folks seem to be giving up on this software. I read this Norton versus McAfee review a couple days ago and i want to know what you guys think about it.

Level 12
Message 18 of 1,143

This issue has been resolved for a couple of months now. Please create new threads for new issues. Thanks!

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 19 of 1,143

Rahul,

I installed after running the clean-up tool and the pre-install tool. Only Virus Scan and Firewall were selected. I've done this twice now.

RAM = 1GB

I keep startups to a minimum - I think about 4 or 5.

Can't get a snapshot because the machine is shutting down but the fault window is entitled "McSvHost - Application Error" with content "The instruction at 6280436a referenced memory at 07.....    " - can't read any more in the time available. The instruction address is always the same but the memory address varies somewhat after the first 2 digits.

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 20 of 1,143

From the posts I can see that the problem is complicated and Pc needs to be checked by a technician. Please boot your PC into safe mode with networking and contact us through McAfee chat support.

http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=CHAT

• If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
  • Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode with networking option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
  • When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.
Windows Vista

• Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode with networking option is selected (the top option)
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
  • When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community