cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Thought so wait and see what happens when it goes to 195 and 135 and if issue returns.

PJ2000
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1072 of 1,143

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I'm based in the UK and I'm still getting the McSvhost.exe error on shutdown. I've checked some of the version numbers of the programs in my Security Centre and some of them seem to be really old versions and have not been updated for a while.

Security Centre
Version: 10.0
Build: 10.0.580
Update: 09/05/2010

Virus Scan
Version: 14.0
Build: 14.0.309
Update: 23/08/2010

Personal Firewall
Version: 11.0
Build: 11.0.378
Update: 09/05/2010

Why is Security Centre, Firewall, and Virus Scan, so far behind and not been updated to the latest versions ???

Cheers for any help !

sweety
Level 7
Message 1073 of 1,143

Hi,

Let me explain you ,McAfee updates only the "Virus Scan " every 4 hours which is called "DAT" and todays DAT is 6083 and it changes everyday ,that is the reason why Virus scan update shows 23.8.2010.

And i wanna tell you that your McAfee programs are not OUTDATED !!!

Ok 1st thought are you getting Mcafee from mcafee direct or through an ISP or hardware supplier like Dell etc? WE heard from 1 of the mcafee techs in our mod phone call that some are still on the10.0 version and are only now testing the10 .5 version.

If it is through mcafee you can get the latest version for certian via uninstalling mcafee and reinstalling it. Ok takes about 20 minutes (I did it to test another issue 2 days ago.)

Removal

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

on 25/08/10 6:08:12 AM
PJ2000
Level 7
Message 1075 of 1,143

Thanks for the replies 'sweety' and 'Peacekeeper', very helpful !! I'm getting Mcafee from mcafee direct so I'll give the uninstall and reinstall ago.

Message was edited by: PJ2000 on 25/08/10 10:20:57 CDT
mcscotty57
Level 9
Message 1076 of 1,143

After updated to Security Center version 10.5.195, VirusScan 14.5 and Firewall 11.5.135, few days ago, the shutdown error seems to be fixed.

Good work! 

Nisa51
Level 9
Message 1077 of 1,143

I would just like to report that I had the upgrade to Build 195 and Firewall 135 on the 18th August, (16 days) and I have not had the error on shutdown once. So I hope this is a permanent fix now.

It is for 90% of users some seem to get the error after an upadte then not again till another update.Mcafee hasn't figured that 1 out though it may be dependent on your supplier ie the ISP or say dell versions might be slightly different. that is my guesss not given with any degree of certainity

Graffin75
Level 7
Message 1079 of 1,143

Good news and bad news.

After the recent update (Security Center build 10.5.195) on August 10th, my Windows XP system now shuts down without the error.

That's the good news.

The bad news is, the process doesn't always shutdown in time on Windows 7 (64-bit). It actually caused a BSOD yesterday, so i'll be removing all traces of McAfee software from that system.

Seriously, if the McSvHost.exe process wasn't in previous versions of McAfee Total Protection, and is clearly the cause of so many user's problems, you'd think the developers would either fix it or completely remove it from 2010. It seems to be nothing but a problematic process. Is it even necessary?

I've used McAfee Total Protection 2007/2008 and 2009 without any issues whatsoever, but after all of the problems with the 2010 version, when my subscription expires, i'll be looking for a far more stable alternative to protect my systems.

They've had almost 7 months to fix this (from when I first reported it), and while they've fixed it for some, they've made it worse for others.

Acela
Level 7
Message 1080 of 1,143

I agree with everything you have said regarding McAfee.

As of this date, I still have not been received the update for the security suite and the personal firewall that reportedly

addresses the problem.

However, I was just emailed a corrective fix which I will try in the next day or two.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community