English-US is by far the largest customer group we have. Since we throttle it out to a percentage of that group each day, then move to the next group the next day, I don't know when you will get the update. I only know that it has been released to your region, others in the US have gotten it, more get it each day, and you will get the update. I recognize that "soon" may not be good enough here, but the only way to skip the throttling is to uninstall/reinstall. New updates will always be available first by uninstall/reinstall so that new users always get the most updated software.
Right now, everyone we tested the update (in beta) on has gotten resolution. We have (unless there have been more I missed) 3 reports in this thread of the error occurring after this update. It's possible we fixed 10 causes, and this is lucky number 11, but we won't know until those are escalated and checked out. The majority of users should be resolved after this update.
Thanks for your reply to my last post and guess what, I just received the fix 195 & 135 build. Now the big question, is the dreaded McSvHost.exe error really gone? I hope so but it is going to be hard for me to really tell for awhile because I was only getting it once in about every 20 shutdowns before receiving this fix . My subscription is up in October and if I don't receive another error by then I guess I will renew. But if the error continues I am done with McAfee. Thanks again.on 20/08/10 6:53:20 AM
Just an FYI. I am Canada located & just received the update to Security Centre 195 & Firewall 135. I probably won't comment again unless I fall into this new 11th condition that appears to have surfaced. Will continue to monitor but assume & hope for the best. Thanks for all your efforts.GB
That was a result of the mod call. They want to figure why you still have it.
Remember Security centre 195 build firewall 135 build is required.
Those are the builds that I have.
I've got Windows XP, Security Center 189, Firewall 131 (Holland) and have received some patch.
The error is still there. I don't know how to email you privately, but I can't imagine you
want to escalate all the recurring errors privately. Why not distribute a working copy?
I won't know until we can get a few of you escalated up, but this is the problem with the mcsvchost. Before we put out the update, we'd identified 10 things that could cause that error to show up. We might be looking at thing 11.
I don't think you have the update yet. Or were you saying to had the pre-update beta patch?
I'm not sure. I'm not very familiar with these kind of things. I do know I got
a bigger than usual software update yesterday (August 17).
Secondly, it would be a nice gesture from McAfee to postpone the renewal of subscription
while this problem still occurs.
You can enable or disable your subscription renewal settings using the steps in this FAQ article:
Regarding the update, it doesn't look like you got it. Your firewal version should be at 135.
There was an unrelated update that went out yesterday, but it was DAT related.