Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 791 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

For some reason the developers are saying they will not release it till end of this month.As the issue only holds up the shutdown for 10 secs why not just let it do its thing rather than end tasking same time wasted.

Gene
Level 7
Message 792 of 1,143

Pardon me for saying so, but modifying the data execute function seems like a total waste of time.

The mcsvhost error message appears on only some shutdowns, not all, and you don't even have to click on the message. If you just ignore it, it will disappear after a few seconds and the computer will shut down normally.

I see no benefit to turning it off other than being an exercise to prove that you can. It's going to go away eventually anyway.

Highlighted
georgieb
Level 7
Message 793 of 1,143

Gene....I so agree with you & yet so many are taking these ( senseless ? pointless? unnecessary ?) steps. It suggests that the problem at hand is possibly poorly understood (otherwise, why "hide" an error message, when the "error condition" still exists ?). Unfortunately, due to other more recent damaging McAfee incidents that were publicized (but not necessarily experienced by anyone on this particular post) & the fact that this apparently "minor" (relative to "impact") problem has not been resolved in over 3 months, suspect a certain level of paranoid behaviour at work. I can't exclude myself, as I discontinued my Automatic Renewal. "Hiding" an error message however??? I'd rather know when it's there & when it's gone (per the supposed fix to be delivered end-June); the workarounds accomplish little if anything (a few seconds gained???). As stated, believe problem not understood, in my humble opinion. GB.

Reliable Contributor
Message 794 of 1,143

I expect the fix will arrive in beta for we beta testers to check out in about a week or 10 days.

georgieb
Level 7
Message 795 of 1,143

Update appreciated. Thanks. GB.

Reliable Contributor
Message 796 of 1,143

Fingers crossed That comment was worked out on the end of june release and they/we need a week to test it.

So please do not hold me to it

davideo0
Level 7
Message 797 of 1,143

The Fix !

I downloaded the latest automatic updated version of McAfee Internet security last night.

On closing down, there was for the first time for weeks NO ERROR MESSAGE!

I hope that is it.

Message was edited by: davideo0 on 6/19/10 1:41:42 AM CDT
cburrows
Level 7
Message 798 of 1,143

Could it be?  Is it possible?  Did we finally get it?  After the latest update from McAfee late last night and shutting my computer down for the third time, I have not got the dreaded McSvHost error.  Thanks McAfee for letting us all know that you were sending the fix (I hope)! 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the latest update was actually the fix and not just some coincidence that I am not getting the error. 

I still won't be renewing with you when my subscription expires in October.

Reliable Contributor
Message 799 of 1,143

Nothing my end My xp test box only gets teh popup 3 times in 33 boots so far. I keep a count.

If they follow testing rules I would expect the fix to be beta tested next week but that is my idea not mcafee's statement. Will recheck in our call monday

Reliable Contributor
Message 800 of 1,143

If you mean the 5958 dat issue someone posted that they got 2 years added to their subscription. i hear the cash part is slower as it needs to be manually vetted but it is coming.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community