Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 731 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

MagicLight wrote:

...the icon on the desk top never goes away.

Do you mean the icon in the system tray? If so, does that really bother you? It's reassurance to me -- and I believe Norton has one too (at least it used to).

If you're really talking about a desktop icon, all you do is right click on it and choose delete. I have no McAfee icon on my desktop.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 732 of 1,143

I too have the McAfee Icon on my desktop.  I have deleted it many times only to have it come back after a couple of McAfee updates.  This is a problem I never had with McAfee 2009.  It seems that it is a way for McAfee to force you to have there Icon on your desktop.  I am running both XP and Vista on two different computers and the desktop Icon is a problem on both although the McSvHost.exe error when shutting down only happens on the XP computer.  Two separate issues.  I can put up with the desktop icon if they can just get rid of that dam McSvHost.exe error when I shut down!

Message was edited by: cburrows on 5/21/10 4:43:00 PM CDT
Highlighted

Does THIS help with the icon issue

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 734 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

I wonder why I never had that problem. Maybe it's the installer question about creating a desktop icon. I always deselect that option on every program I install.

Highlighted

Yes that is probably why

Highlighted

Peacekeeper wrote:

No.

After you reboot, the icon is reinstalled on the desktop.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 737 of 1,143

To remove mcafee desktop icon  permanently   open mcafee > click on  navigation > click on " general settings & alerts " >  click "access protection"  then delete the desktop mcafee icon & once desktop  mcafee icon  is deleted  reenable the access protection . check whether u have the same problem  .

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 738 of 1,143

It did for my Vista system, but not for the XP systems.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 739 of 1,143

Yeah, we've all been griping about that shortcut and the start menu "repopulation" issue since February.  Long before the shut-down error thread grew in popularity (and for some of us BSOD with v2010 and subsequent reinstallation of XP, etc).

Seems this is the only thread getting anyone's attention.  If we have the developer's attention, why haven't they given us configuration controls (like in general settings) to remove the desktop shortcut and repopulation of the Start Menu?  Those are trivial in comparison to this issue, but have had complaints (from me included) from day 1 of my renewal.

I had to reinstall 2010 again after one of the updates made SiteAdvisor break (and reinstallation of it alone would not "fix" it), and along returns the desktop icon.  Having to run a patch or hack the registry in safe mode is just BS, and everyone knows it!

And no one has been able to provide the registry hack to prevent the repopulation of the Start Menu.

Those aggravate me far more than a benign shut down error (but not as much as reinstalling my OS and rebuilding my system after the initial upgrade broke my computer).

Please give us back control of our customizable desktops and menus!

on 5/24/10 4:00:42 PM CDT
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 740 of 1,143

Gents

Not sure if you've tried the solution from McAfee at Doc ID TS100906 (google it if you haven't) but this worked for me to remove the desktop icon - forever. Or at least until i had to recover my XP to try one more attemp at getting rid of the McSvHost problem!

I ran it again and the icon has stayed out of my life - again.

Nikolai

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community