Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davideo0
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 771 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Just to add my own experience.

My computer uses Windows XP Home, 2 gigs RAM, Nvidia 9800.

Exactly the same symptoms as previous posters.

I also notice that automatic updates occur with little relation to the times I set.

The percentage indication remains at 0% throughout the download and only indicates 0% to 100% when installing the update. If this is intentional, why have the percentage indicator showing  at all during the download?

David

The % issue is really only cosmetic I will pass this onto the beta team as they can check these things out faster.

The issue re the shutdown message will be fixed by mid June but we mods and McAfee techs are trying to get it fast tracked.

the updates improve in version 10.5 out on some country  servers cf Australia for 1. If you do not touch your PC for 15 mins it should update mine does. Same with scheduled scans. The smart timer feature seems to interfere with updates so in 10.5 the tests to check if the program can start updating has changed in this version.

davideo0
Level 7
Message 773 of 1,143

Peacekeeper

Thanks for the info.

I hope the remedy will be soon.

It's all rather unnerving.

David

saab900
Level 7
Message 774 of 1,143

Hi Folks,

So far I seem to be lucky compared to alot of you guys and gals, not had the close down message now for nearly two weeks.

i'm just waiting now to hear regarding my claim.

I have always had McAfee automatic updates switched on.

Although IE8 is my default browser for shortcuts, I prefer using Firefox when manually browsing and haven't so far experianced any problems.

I'm using 3.6.3.

I one thing I have noticed, considering I had windows re-installed after that Wednesday, it does take a little bit longer to close than I would expect considering alot of my old stuff has now gone due to the re-install.

However, so far so good.  I understand it must be a bit unnerving wondering if anything else will happened.

Hopefully this will be sorted out for everybody.

Regards   

Gene
Level 7
Message 775 of 1,143

I hadn't noticed when I posted the message about Firefox, but my problem disappeared after the most recent update, a couple of days ago.

dawgspaw
Level 7
Message 776 of 1,143

A message for Peacekeeper:  I believe you previously posted instructions about a work-around for the Mcsvhost shutdown error.  The instructions detailed how to turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.  Step 9 stated "BROWSE AND SELECT YOUR APPLICATION'.  I tried to do this but wasn't sure what I should be looking for when I browse.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  

c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mcsvchost\then mcsvhost.exe

saab900
Level 7
Message 778 of 1,143

Hi Folks,

Why did I open my big mouth !!!! lol

After nearly two weeks and yesterday saying I've had nothing, what happens ?

Yep, got the message on closedown last night.

C'est la vie.

regards

edufrnslv
Level 7
Message 779 of 1,143

I am a user of McAfee Total Protection and upon the new 2010 version that was automatically installed from McAfee website to my PC without a permission or authorization my laptop presented Blue Screen Error Message on restart or shutdown.

My wife´s PC under the same license of McAfee (for up to 3 uesrs) did not presented the same and exactly blue screen error by the time mine did and sudenly almost 5 weeks later she realized McAfee was updating, information on the new version,  PC was running slow, she did a restart as the PC was locked and then bingo, her PC started to present blue screen error on shutdown or restart. Her PC as mine, had to be shutdown completely from the hard reset waiting a few seconds till the PC green lights goes down and stops.  I spend hours on the phone with level 1 and level 2 technicians, remote acess and so forth, reapeting over and over my problem for several weeks. I gave up, after a full disk format and Windows XP install, the blue screen error on my PC has gone, however this error message called "McSvcHost.exe did reference to 0x002a62104 at 0x00000000 the memory could not be read" is shown on my PC!!!.

This is annoying!

A question for the community: Besides changing from McAfee to Norton as a solution, what other alternative to fix dows anyone from this communitity could kindly recommend to me.

PS: My wife´s PC still has the blue screen error.

kumar_B
Level 10
Message 780 of 1,143

first may i know what type of operating system u hav is it windows xp , vista or win 7 ( 32 bit or 64 bit ).

Also try running mcafee virtual technician ( mvt ) through the useful links which is shown  at the top of this page .

also check whether you have any alternate antivirus installed in your computer (go to Start > controlpanel > programs & features > if you hav any 3rd party security antivirus or any alternate spyware or malware , adware protection just remove them ) .

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community