cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

On my 2 win 7 PCs 1 in 5 shutdowns hang as asus probe does not want to shutdown pretty. I just click force close at least your issue it auto closes in 10 seconds. Mcafee is working on it and I reemailed about every1 in the mcafee list who can assist to refresh the urgncy/time gone on this.

Highlighted
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 672 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

Total waste of time I did it myself on my son in Law's PC it fixed it till the next update. I think I know how to clean up bits and pices as well so the PC was clean of Mcafee before reinstallation. You got a case number you would have been given it when you logged on?

Yes - Service Request #: 503765253

Also , it seems the person I chatted with changed my settings back to the defaults in the Security Center when they had access to my system.

Message was edited by: jmckee on 5/15/10 6:07:12 PM CDT
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 673 of 1,143

My experience with the ‘DEP exclusion’ work around is that while it reduces the occurrence of this error, it does not totally eliminate it; as the message still occasionally appears at closing (albeit much less frequently).

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 674 of 1,143

I'm Italian (Genoa city) and i don't speak very well English but on 2 PC's i have the same problemmmmmmmmmmm after update Mcafee Internet Security 2010 on 13 may!

I will buy NORTON if this problem will not be fixed!

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 675 of 1,143

Somer;

Thank you for the clarification!   So maybe I should be posting elsewhere in order to get the proper information for my issue.  In the meantime, I'll call technical support again.  But the issue I have had has been very real...just not the "real" for this thread.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Level 12
Message 676 of 1,143

Hmm... maybe that wasn't as helpful as I'd thought it would be.

Ok, are you getting an error with mcsvchost when you shut down? Or is your computer rebooting, or booting to Windows without a taskbar? If you're getting the first issue, this is the right place. If you're getting the 2nd issue, shoot me a private message and I'll help you get to the right place and get you some help!

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 677 of 1,143

You don't have to interact with your computer during shutdown, even if you get the mcsvhost error -- at least not my computer. The message merely delays shutdown. After displaying the error message for several seconds, the computer shuts down.

I don't think it's particularly wise for you or McAfee to minimize this error message or the number of people affected. I did a google search for mcsvhost a couple of days ago and there were 19 pages of matches. I did another search just now and found 22 pages of matches. Many of the matches are found on foreign language sites, including Asian sites. In other words, the problem may be growing, not lessening, and it's hurting McAfee's reputation.

It's not just a matter of a few people who give up on McAfee because of the problem, it's a matter of those people saying negative things about McAfee to their friends, and spreading the word on other forums and the like.

Personally, I simply don't believe there are multiple causes for the problem. I think there's only one cause and McAfee hasn't found it yet. Anything you've found to fix the problem on some machines is more likely specific workarounds. I have serious doubts that mcsvhost has multiple problems, and it's not the computers with the problem since they all ran just fine before the update.

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/13/10 7:52:07 PM CDT
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 678 of 1,143

So why is this error only affecting XP? So what is the difference in files/format between Vista, Win 7 to XP ?

I have XP Home Edition with sp3. Browser I always use IE8 I dont switch?

The error appears not always, until recently it has been every day why I dont know. 2 Hours ago I had a software upgrade and had to reboot the pc, is this going to help?

I dont think its the hardware of my pc affecting this, but hey ho.

I have 2 dual core, 3.06 processors. 4 gb ram?

I suppose I have the usual programmes what most have, Abode, Quicktime, Java , Thunderbird?

But I do know one thing for sure, I HAVE MOST DEFINATELY HAD ENOUGH GOING ON 4 MONTHS OF THIS, I WILL NO BE RENEWING MY SUBSCRIPTION.

McAfee IMO have not dealt with this problem strongly enough despite what they have said on this thread. Your Customer and Technical Support is Zero it is the worst I think I have come across, Have been a customer for 4 years, but that will be ex 4 years shortly. I wonder what Trading Standards in UK would say about this.

Message was edited by: Nisa51 on 13/05/10 12:30:20 CDT
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 679 of 1,143

Nisa,

I suspect Trading Standards would suggest it falls short on the two main aspects of any purchase in the uk under the sale of goods act.

(1) " Not fit for purpose ".  This program has caused some pc's software to self destruct by treating mcsvhose.exe as a virus and deleting it.

(2) " Not Merchantible Quality ".  A software program stated as being compatible with XP should not create an error message, however minor in nature.  It should also not take months to rectify and customer support should be up to date and stop advising customers poorly (i.e. Microsoft problem, reinstall application etc).

drewb

Message was edited by: drewb on 13/05/10 16:17:32 CDT
Highlighted
Level 12
Message 680 of 1,143

drewb,

To correct some misinformation here, this isn't a detection issue. Your point 1 is not related to the issue you're reporting, namely that nothing is detecting mcsvchost as a virus. You have combined two unrelated issues in your point 1.

To address point 2, one of the very likely causes of this issue is a 'race to shutdown'. By this I mean that some OS process is closing down before others can. What this means is you could get this error with any application put in this position; it just happens to be ours this time. We work the issue because, bluntly, it's easier to change a program than an operating system, but the fix to this issue may well mean changes to the OS instead of our app (such as extending times in the registry etc). What this means is that the OS could also be partly responsible, as it's inability to correctly order the shutdown processes and allocate the needed time for each could also be causing this issue. It also means that reinstalling is a good troubleshooting step. When you uninstall the app, restart, and reinstall, it is possible the app will load it's service in a different order, and the issue could be resolved by that. If it doesn't work, than it doesn't wrork, but it's still a good place to start.

There's a lot of heat on this issue, and a lot of attention to resolving it internally. But there's also a lot of misinformation out here. Just trying to help clear it up. To reassure everyone, this issue is not causing anyone to lose data or damaging computers. It's not putting you in an unprotected state. The issue described in this thread is an error at shutdown that a service did not end in a timely fashon, properly, or could not end. Clicking OK and hitting the power button will safely shut the computer down.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community