Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nisa51
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 651 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hi Peacemaker,

Those Items were discovered using Malewarebutes, not a registry cleaner? Malwarebytes quarantined them as malware

Nisa51
Level 9
Message 652 of 1,143

Oh wait my Post 695 re reading the Malwarebytes that must be windows antivirus and not McAfee, I think sorry

saab900
Level 7
Message 653 of 1,143

Hi All,

After downloading 2010 on that fateful Wednesday, my pc crashed during a virus scan the same evening.  In the end had to get my PC looked at, reformat and re-installed windows advised and then carried out. When PC returned I reinstalled wireless internet connections then McAfee.  After the reinstall I was occasionally getting the message on closedown BUT not for the last seven days now (TOUCH WOOD).  I seem to be okay now, I have submitted a claim and waiting for a response (thanks for letting me know peacekeeper - appreciated).

Hopefully this matter will be resolved soon for all.

Regards to all  

Mullie
Level 7
Message 654 of 1,143

Am I missing something,

I had to have a complete reinstall I then downloaded the Beta version so I had a fresh windows xp and the latest McAfee but I still get the close down error,

also How do I get my repar bill  refunded ??? as no comunication has come from McAfee.

Beta still has the issue Steer_pike said they are working on it. BTW he is our Tech we talk to daily and he has been updated on this thread daily as well. Re refund/costs form on main site but atm US/ Canada only. Will take a while but they will honor their commitment

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/05/10 6:54:03 AM
Textongue
Level 7
Message 656 of 1,143

Currently I have had no major problem with the shutdown error other than its annoying. for 3 days it did not appear, then reappeared lastnight. When this all started at first I blamed the Beta testers for Total Protection 2010. This is why we beta test software and if issues are not presented, then the developers can not address the issue. After Peacekeepers post on it still being in Beta, I now hold Mcafee totally responsible for this cause. Macfee better seriously consider reinbursting customers with some sort of free year or something. It is a criminal act to Knowingly and willingly sell or distribute a harmful product to a consumer. Mcafee should have never released the 2010 version to XP with a known issue in beta. What they have released is and can be considered a virus for the fact that it has/is doing the same thing to peoples computers that viruses do.

No disrespect to you peacekeeper, but personally it may have not been a wise decision to disclose that this issue in known in the Beta Software. If you think I'm wrong, talk to any Civil Lawyer and you'll see different.

bengaile
Level 7
Message 657 of 1,143

Textongue:

Both my laptops were completely out of commission for almost the entire last  2-3 weeks.  I was finally able to restore them to the last backup, unfortunately one of them was last backed up 9/9/2009.  My fear is if I stay with McAfee what is to stop this from happening again.  I think McAfee, after much angst, is finally stepping up to the plate by formally stating they will reimburse me for my repairs and I have 2 years of free virus protection.  It is just a sad deal that one must claw and fight in order for the BIG companies to do what is morally right and play like good corporate citizens.  I would have felt more secure and had the warm fuzzies if McAfee had sent out an email indicating WARNING in the subject line - warning one not to do certain things that would further compromise their systems.  Instead, I had to search the Internet on my Macbook, find the issue and the support numbers.  My wireless is still out, which leaves me having to make more calls to them and/or Netgear (the router manufacturer).

McAfee wasted money by sending the 5958 fix it CD to me via FedEx.  I appreciate the effort, but nothing like throwing things at a problem knowing and admiting it was not the fix.  I found their action to be rather strange and counterproductive!

However, their recent email made me feel a little better.  Perhaps there is hope...even though I am still limping along with my laptops that won't recognize my wireless network.

Good luck!

Message was edited by: bengaile on 5/13/10 8:18:09 AM CDT
Nisa51
Level 9
Message 658 of 1,143

Do I read this right? That McAfee had not tested this stupid 2010 on XP and released it in any case, I want more than compensation for this huge mistake on the part of McAfee.

bengaile
Level 7
Message 659 of 1,143

I think you read it correctly.  Somewhere within these messages a blogger stated the DAT file update/change thingy slipped through the proper "quality" checks.

SPyron
Level 12
Message 660 of 1,143

Nisa, bengaile,

This is not correct. Maybe I can help clear this up. You're talking about 2 different issues. The issue this thread refers to is that some users are getting a mcsvchost error when they shut down their computer. To give you the technical information on this first issue:

• This error causes no damage to your computer, but requires you to interact with your computer during shut down (meaning you have to click ok or hit the power button).
  • This error has multiple causes (it's a fairly generic error message), meaning this is not ONE problem many people are having, but rather one error message that can come up when several different things happens. This makes the issue very hard to pin down, and can be caused by (potentially) a different reason on every computer.
  • We have released updates to fix this error. Each time, some people are fixed and some are not. Then we begin again, investigating some other cause and solution.
  • Despite the large number of people posting to this thread, this accounts for a VERY small percentage of our customers. Most people are not having this issue.
  • 2010 was fully QA'd, then fully beta tested, then released.

The other issue was very different, but involved a similarly named file. The 5958 DAT issue affected the svchost file on Windows XP SP3 computers ONLY.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community