I have:

.net framework 2.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.5 service pack 1

are these the ones I need?

Though my system has Service pack 3....

Mez.

on 29/04/10 20:27:13 IST

It depends on what applications you have installed - I have various software that employs all of them at different times, I would install 1, 2 and 3 and their service packs, which sound serious but aren't - just another update.  If you've set Windows Update to offer updates for all products using Microsoft Update ( http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-US this is the one for North America) then it will offer all those using the Custom button when asking for it to check for updates.   To be on the safe side I would install anything it offers, with the exception possibly of any 3rd party graphics and sound drivers because sometimes those are a bit out of date and most people download those things seperately in any case.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/04/10 3:45:26 EDT PM
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 512 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Windows is currently set to recieve ALL windows updates automatically, the .net frameworks listed above downloaded to my computer as an update from windows, I did not download these myself.

So I would of thought the other .net frameworks would download themselves if i needed them?

Mez.

Highlighted

Mezzy wrote:

Windows is currently set to recieve ALL windows updates automatically, the .net frameworks listed above downloaded to my computer as an update from windows, I did not download these myself.

So I would of thought the other .net frameworks would download themselves if i needed them?

Mez.

Mez, I've found that the auto updates will install the basic .net and updates but often to get those other versions one has to employ the Custom search for updates.

Of course they can also be downloaded from Microsoft directly.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/04/10 4:08:35 EDT PM
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 514 of 1,143

My Windows Express updates where update. On the Custom tab there was a couple of Net.Framework updates to do, So I have installed them, and I will wait and see what happens. But is it is hard to tell if this solution works or not, as I do not always get the shutdown error, sometimes I can go 4 or 5 days without seeing it.

Day 1 so what prevails.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 515 of 1,143

Mezzy wrote:

Which .NET framework do i need?

I have:

.net framework 2.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.5 service pack 1

are these the ones I need?

Though my system has Service pack 3....

Mez.

on 29/04/10 20:27:13 IST

Mezzy:

I likewise had those .net frameworks installed on my computer via windows auto updates. But it wasn't until I manually installed the following .net framework directly from the microsoft website that I got rid of the problem; atleast it turned out that way in my case. ( Tested on SP2 and SP3).

Here's the the direct link off of microsoft as I previously posted.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displa...

goodluck.

Message was edited by: Theone on 4/29/10 4:53:52 PM CDT
Highlighted
Level 12
Message 516 of 1,143

For some of you there is an article at pcworld.com on some of the problems.Mostly affecting xp with Mcafee updates.After going to pcworld click on bugs and fixes.The articles are on the right side of page.                                                                         Hope this helps Jack

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 517 of 1,143

Not that I am a quiter or anything, but after having mcafee for many many years, and this debacle and the

way my tech support issue was mis0handled. I have changed over to another anti-virus package to just get on with my life...

I hope they find a solution, I still have a machine, using 1 of my 4 licenses, ( a window 7 )  that are not broken yet because of this, ( All my XPs are  )

but at my corporate office I have to consider all things and what the long-term this means.  Yes, all companies make errors, without a doubt, but

the true loyality to a company or product is how they handle adversity and help their customers.  True customer service is a rarity without questions,

but there just comes a time..

I have done everything posted here, and the numerous cleans and reinstalls with no luck, and has deminished my trust in the software to accomplish its task.

Good luck and will keep monitoring to see if a solution is forthcoming....

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 518 of 1,143

My McAfee updated last week to the new version 2010 and when I ran a virusscan, it wrecked my PC - it wouldn't let me do anything at all, couldn't do a thing.  Took it to a workshop hoping they could save having to reload windows but unsuccessful, they could only reformat the disc in the end and reinstalled windows XP - Cost me £49.  Thanks McAfee.  Funny but the day after my mum updated her McAfee and although there was an update, it still remained the old 2009 version.  Anyway I'm also now getting the error message on closing.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 519 of 1,143

This seems insane...to stick with a program that is wreaking havoc with people.

As to why there aren't more people at this forum, many people simple don't know what to do...all of my friends have just rid themselves of McAfee and installed another program.

With this not being fixed and people being asked to make changes in their own systems to accommodate errors, that is crazy.

Personally, I say...uninstall it, keep checking back here for as long as it takes. You can always reinstall McAfee when everything is fixed.

In the meantime, you can have a program that works, before further breakdowns occur.

Just makes sense.

I'll keep checking back. I really thought this would be done by now, but I have friends who are just telling me about getting an update and the error message, recently!  Also, the dat message ...the one that really tears things down.

If you love McAfee so much, get rid of it until all is fixed and then go back to it...

Seems like we could have a long wait though.

Meantime, my CA Internet Security Suite is doing quite well!

terri

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 520 of 1,143

You may not have noticed; but running concurrent to the McSvHost.exe problem is the "new interface and version for all" issue where tools previously installed are gone after the update.

When McAfee went to upgrading everyone's interface and program to the "latest version" is when I started having issues with my three computers.

Computer #1 - Dell desktop with XP Home - Intel dual core cpu - ATI gpu

Computer #2 - Dell laptop with XP Pro - AMD dual core cpu - ATI gpu

Computer #3 - Dell desktop with Vista Home Premium - AMD dual core cpu - ATI gpu

Actually the new McAfee upgrade policy and McAfee Total Protection 2010 (all three computers) are the only common threads I have at the moment - besides of course ATI (3 different cards), Microsoft (3 different OS's), and Dell (3 different models).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community