Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 451 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

To disable VirusScan do the following.  I'll post the procedure for both the 2009 and 2010 products/

VirusScan 13 - 2009 (square taskbar icon)

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center

Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)

Click Configure (left)

Click Computer & Files (top left)

You can disable VirusScan in the right-hand module and tell it for how long.

VirusScan 14 - 2010 (shield icon)

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Protection

Click the Turn Off button and tell it for how long to stay that way.

There's some hints on installing SP3 here:  http://community.mcafee.com/thread/2007

I also state there that it may be a good idea to turn on Windows Firewall and disable McAfee.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/04/10 9:03:01 EDT PM
gwayles1
Level 7
Message 452 of 1,143

This is off-issue, yet possibly relevant to some degree with McAfee errors (I don't know to what degree, though). No question that reformatting is the long way around, but according to Microsoft's technician, the only way to guarantee there will not be compatibility issues. Surely a headache. I can only surmise that Microsoft has been grappling with this for awhile and now recommends the procedure indicated. Try running Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0, for example, in SP3. You'll probably end up with compatibility problems. If not, I'd sure be interested in hearing about it. Have tried the "backwards compatibility" option in the past and found that the machine just laughed at me. Same thing true for Vista. If you select a backwards compatibility, it will probably just laugh at you some more. Not all software, of course, but some. And how do you know before you begin and end up having to format backward, in the final analysis? All I can say is that the Microsoft tech guy warned me about this, and said don't expect compatibility without going the method he described. Indeed, it is a hassle. And it what has kept me from upgrading to XP/SP3. Like a giant conspiracy with the software manufacturers to make everybody constantly spend money on new software.

exbrit
MVP
Message 453 of 1,143

gwayles1 wrote:

This is off-issue, yet possibly relevant to some degree with McAfee errors (I don't know to what degree, though). No question that reformatting is the long way around, but according to Microsoft's technician, the only way to guarantee there will not be compatibility issues. Surely a headache. I can only surmise that Microsoft has been grappling with this for awhile and now recommends the procedure indicated. Try running Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0, for example, in SP3. You'll probably end up with compatibility problems. If not, I'd sure be interested in hearing about it. Have tried the "backwards compatibility" option in the past and found that the machine just laughed at me. Same thing true for Vista. If you select a backwards compatibility, it will probably just laugh at you some more. Not all software, of course, but some. And how do you know before you begin and end up having to format backward, in the final analysis? All I can say is that the Microsoft tech guy warned me about this, and said don't expect compatibility without going the method he described. Indeed, it is a hassle. And it what has kept me from upgrading to XP/SP3. Like a giant conspiracy with the software manufacturers to make everybody constantly spend money on new software.

Well for starters you should be running Adobe Acrobat 9, not 7, so if all the software is not up to date, it's no wonder there are problems.

Just a thought.

gwayles1
Level 7
Message 454 of 1,143

Ex_Brit,

Why should I be running Adobe 9? People should not HAVE TO upgrade to more expensive versions just because they go through an update on an OS from XP/SP2 to SP3. Upgrading from Adobe 7.0 to Adobe 9.0 is expensive. Likewise upgrading Photoshop. Likewise upgrading CorelDraw. Likewise Illustrator. And Dreamweaver. Shall I go on? And because Adobe 8 and higher is just junk and bloatware. Like I said, it is a conspiracy by software manufacturers to force people to constantly buy new software they do not need. On the other hand, if you want to send me the extra cash to buy all the latest and greatest software that I use, I'll be happy to purchase it. None of which really matters, as I have no intention of upgrading to SP3 AND I have no intention of ever purchasing McAFee again, so no problems here anymore.

exbrit
MVP
Message 455 of 1,143

gwayles1 wrote:

Ex_Brit,

Why should I be running Adobe 9? People should not HAVE TO upgrade to more expensive versions just because they go through an update on an OS from XP/SP2 to SP3. Upgrading from Adobe 7.0 to Adobe 9.0 is expensive. Likewise upgrading Photoshop. Likewise upgrading CorelDraw. Likewise Illustrator. And Dreamweaver. Shall I go on? And because Adobe 8 and higher is just junk and bloatware. Like I said, it is a conspiracy by software manufacturers to force people to constantly buy new software they do not need. On the other hand, if you want to send me the extra cash to buy all the latest and greatest software that I use, I'll be happy to purchase it. None of which really matters, as I have no intention of upgrading to SP3 AND I have no intention of ever purchasing McAFee again, so no problems here anymore.

I realise that, but I've gone throught the same thing and had to bite the bullet on more than one occasion.  Sometimes I'm lucky and find a free application to do the same thing, other times either fork out the money or simply do without.

It's your prerogative what protection software you have but to purposely hold back your OS security-wise simply to accomodate old software is backward thinking IMHO.

gwayles1
Level 7
Message 456 of 1,143

Ex-Brit,

When a company advertises their product as compatible with an OS (in this case XP/SP2 - as well as others) then the user has the right to expect exactly that. Some people downloaded the 2010 version and were originally users of the 2009 version - no doubt they expected McAfee was improving their lot, not worsening it. Others of us purchased 2010 out of the box. The box said it was compatible with SP2. Therefore, McAfee has the obligation to be sure their software does what it says it will do - EULA does not provide that a vendor can foist faulty software on users, as far as I know. Nobody expects that the software they pay good money for will create unanticipated technical problems. Incidentally, McAfee 2010 WAS compatible until they did the upgrade of 2010, even for those who were already using 2010 successfully. It was THAT secondary upgrade that created all the problems. Therefore, McAfee needs to go back to whoever messed up the software and get them to fix it and/or fire them for incompetence, and then hire somebody who knows what they're doing. Gee, do you suppose they might hire a software engineer in the United States? Nah, probably not.

As far as purchasing new and bloated software because of companies trying to force users to buy new stuff:  kindly keep in mind that not all of us are wealthy. When we buy security software, even that is an expense. We put out the extra dollars (or whatever the currency of a given nation is) for it because we want to protect our computers. If a software company promises to protect our computers but instead mucks up the works, then what is their justification for their continuing business operations?

PCFriend
Level 7
Message 457 of 1,143

Hi gwayles1

You said it right & hit the nail on the head.It is the true & real fact that customers are being exploited to keep on upgrading their perfectly working hardware to accomodate bloted up software.OS vendors,software vendors,application vendors group up together to keep dropping support for old versions to force customers to buy new versions.example:why Mcafee has to drop support for XP sp2(unless it has understanding with MS to do so).We have reached a stage where a computer owner is only in control of his system physically(less than5%) but the real control of his hardware,software,applications are all(95%) in the hands of these groups at the cost of the customer who pays.Many techies won't bite their bullets they find a work around,but they are a very low percentage of market when compared to the high percentage of innocent computer users who stand to lose a great deal of money.

The solution has to come from consumers only by refusing to purchase anything new unless otherwise it helps them greatly interms of usage beyond 80% more incomparision with the currently owned gadgets or software they have.They can save a lot of money too.

Who gave them (Mcafee) permission to upgrade to 2010 version without the real owner of the software who has purchased the 2009 version asking for it.They are supposed to update only virus & malicious program DAT files,am I right??

exbrit
MVP
Message 458 of 1,143

PCFriend wrote:

Who gave them (Mcafee) permission to upgrade to 2010 version without the real owner of the software who has purchased the 2009 version asking for it.They are supposed to update only virus & malicious program DAT files,am I right??

You did when you downloaded it was assumed you had read the EULA where basically it says the software remains McAfee's property...you can check it out on the account download page.

PCFriend
Level 7
Message 459 of 1,143

Ex_Brit wrote:

PCFriend wrote:

You did when you downloaded it was assumed you had read the EULA where basically it says the software remains McAfee's property...you can check it out on the account download page.

Wow!!!! Ex_Brit wants the common consumers to spend additional $$$$ & hire a lawyer to put that EU(useless)LA(Law) in common man's head in simple terms every time he buys something.

People are discussing here with an intention of how to make these product vendors(especially the one's from IT sector) turn their attention to the most important & missing factor "Quality Control & Quality assurance" instead of taking shelter under some EULA & sell poor quality stuff to the consumer & make they pay for it & pay more for corrections\damages too.

Does EULA help in anyway a consumer to suffer less or claim damages??

Try & compare the levels of quality standards that are being met by example:Manufacturing Industry & compare it with the miniscule levels of standards of software industry to get a better understanding of the plight of the innocent consumer.Try to force these software guys to ensure they meet certain standards which benefits the end user.

Please read this (another Mcafee mess) to understand to what extent the quality of software products have gone down & how much the consumer is put to trouble & loses.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36714066/ns/technology_and_science-security/

Think out of the box & think as a consumer if at all we want to see some +ve results.We are talikng here of not only Mcafee but all software industry as a whole keeping in mind the consumer who pays.

exbrit
MVP
Message 460 of 1,143

That's it.  Whatever help I would have provided is being expended elsewhere.   No need for that at all.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community