Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 431 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Peacekeeper

I've downloaded and installed the beta on this installation/disk.  It's running with XP SP3 and IE6 at the moment.  I did install IE8, but for some reason it's playing up with your site tonight.  Come to think of it.  Your site is not much better running on IE6 at the moment as it keeps doing strange things, plus the text size and placement is all over the place.  All other sites are OK, as is the main www.mcafee.com website.  For some reason, the forum is displaying really weirdly at the moment.  It keeps changing all on it's own too.

Anyway, having installed the beta, I still got the error message when the computer shut down for a restart a few minutes ago.

Highlighted

Thanks not good news.. Our contact is discussing this with the bod who says it is fixed.

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 433 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper and Creature

All I can say is I have done absolutely nothing to the settings of the Internet Security, i have not disabled anything, touched nothing. Just as creature was saying during the recent upgrades to build 10.0.580 i have not had the shutdown error.

This is the start of my 5th day, so will wait to see what happens when I shut down in about 3 hours time. and then later on this evening.

Highlighted

Ok here we go again who has the 580 build and still has the issue?

BTW beta version no chop.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 435 of 1,143

ME.

I will list the builds/dats/etc below.

SECURITY CENTER:

Version: 10.0

Build: 10.0.580

Affld: 0-898

Language: en-gb

Last update: 16/04/2010

VIRUS SCAN:

Version: 14.0

Build: 14.0.309

DAT version: 5964

DAT creation date: 26/04/2010

Engine Version: 5400.1158

FIREWALL:

Version 11.0

Build 11.0.378

Last update: 11/03/2010

All I have installed is Anti-Virus, firewall.

NO Family protection, networking, blah blah blah.

PS, I have a CLEAN install of windows xp home SP3 on my netbook, yet I still have this issue on there.

Also have the issue on my MAIN computer (windows xp pro SP3) which has not got a clean installation, and not going to get one either. Far too much work/programs/files etc to lose & back up.

+ the fact I dont see why I should reformat my hard drive for a Faulty Mcafee product.

Mezzy.

on 27/04/10 09:41:06 IST
Highlighted

Agreed if it is on a clean skin reformating the other will not help. I will see what our contacts get back to us with.

Good idea to think of some backing up don't you think.?

Level 7
Message 437 of 1,143

I have the latest update and still get the shutdown error every time.

Highlighted

On our Conference Call yesterday we compared notes and realised that shutdown errors are pretty common and aren't always something that is easily dealt with unless one starts messing with shutdown processes in the registry.

I get them all the time with various applications especially in Windows 7 and hitherto have taken little notice.  I multi-boot 4 operating systems and have learned to ignore an awful lot.  Most of them are merely applications being too slow to close in a timely fashion therefore Windows has to force them to do so.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but if it's just an error and you aren't having other issues then my suggestion is to ignore it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/04/10 7:13:00 EDT AM
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 439 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper

Regarding my post 500. i thought it may have gone but alas it is back. 4Days with not seeing the error but it came back today.

I totally give up now.

Just please announce when a fix has been done, thats all I wont to hear now nothing else but just that. I am going to uninstall this crap programme and dl AVG least thats is free and gives me no problems on my laptop

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 440 of 1,143

Nisa51,

Regarding your free AVG anti-virus install:  I did the same a short time ago. It was so terrific that I purchased the AVG Internet Security. Really happy with it. Really happy with their customer response. Oh yeah, and the people who speak English there actually speak English intelligibly. What a pleasant surprise after McAFee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community