Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 251 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hey, rabbit2!

I am tired of my computer making a 'kplunck' windows sound everytime I turn it off or reboot!

They had better fix this problem.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 252 of 1,143

Hi Team,

Sorry for the delayed response, we are still working on the Patch for this issue. Fix will be released soon. Issue seems to be caused by McAfee Network Agent. Since it’s continuing to poll network during the shutdown. Till that time work around for the following issue is given below. We don’t recommend you to delete any McAfee files from the system. This might impact your security.

Open the Microsoft Services (Start -Run- Type-Services.msc- Right click on McAfee network agent -Click on stop and click on properties and disable services before restarting the computer).I will keep everyone posted once the solution is updated in the product.

Thank you for all your support

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 253 of 1,143

Thanks, Bala!

If we don't use the workaround solution you gave us and just live with the shutdown error, that is not a problem I assume.

If we do disable, and the patch comes, do we have to backtract and enable what we stopped?

Thanks.

I think I will wait, since it is just an error message and not anything more harmful on the computer....

terri

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 254 of 1,143

Hi tmgrl4,

Bala is only suggesting to temporarily stop mcagent. If you right-click mcafee network agent and select properties you will see that there is a box called "startup type". This should be set to automatic which means that mcagent will startup automatically whenever your machine starts. Clicking the stop option will just stop mcagent for that particular session. Since you can only effect this change when logged on with an administrator profile (and none of us should be running our machines day to day with administrator priviledges!) you may think the effort of constantly switching to an administrator profile is not worthwhile - so maybe just watch the error message as usual until the fix arrives!

Highlighted

That was what I suggested the issue is an annoyance not critical and Mcafee is as said putting time into fixing it. Figured why my kids not getting any issue as they do not connect a printer often though do have xboxes connected which may not be an issue.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 256 of 1,143

Thanks, rabbit2.

I'll just stick with the error message.

As to McAfee coming on at startup...I waited almost 5 minutes today, but watched the processes during startup and saw the some of .exe McAfee processes were running, so must have engaged McAfee at startup.

As soon as I open OE for my e-mail, then I get the splash screen and the icon pops up on the bottom.

I guess I can assume that McAfee is running as soon as I boot up...in the background. I would feel more comfortable if I saw the splash screen right away as before along with the icon at the bottom, since I have a cable modem on.

Maybe I will get some clarification as we go along. This only happened after Dinesh removed the icon shortcut that would keep reappearing on the desktop after I deleted it, shutdown and started up again.

terri

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 257 of 1,143

Hi tmgrl4,

I'd be concerned if the McAfee shield icon doesn't appear in the task bar fairly early during windows start-up, Not so concerned about the splash screen. Check that all your McAfee processes are running - see below. The McAfee Scanner service will probably not be shown as started because it has a manual start-up but all the other services should be running because they are automatic starters. Unfortunately however, having a full set is not a guarantee that everything is alright.

If all the processes look ok then probably best to try and contact Dinesh who may recognize the situation and re-instate something that he temporarily disabled (just a hunch because of the remote access session). Otherwise, I would be inclined to re-install McAfee. Don't forget to use the clean-up tool after deleting McAfee. Also unplug or turn of your modem whilst McAfee is not running on your system.

Services (Start>run, type: services.msc)

M Firewall Core Service

M Network Agent

M Personall Firewall

M Proxy Service

M Scanner

M Services

M Validation Trust Protection Service

M Virus Scan Announcer

Mcshield

Task Manager (ctrl+alt+delete, processes tab)

mcagent.exe

mcshield.exe

McSvHost.exe

mfefire.exe

mfevtps.exe

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 258 of 1,143

Thanks, rabbit2.

I printed out your post.

When I check task mananger at booting up, I see activity right away in the McSvcs listed....but I will also check, before I turn on my modem (which I turn off every night, anyhow, to see if the services are running. Within a few minutes...seemingly when I open OE or IE, the shield appears on the bottom.

When I open it, all the services are active.  I think they are running at start up too.

Later today, I will shut down and turn computer back on with modem...it has an easy "off" button anyhow, so I don't have to uplug it.

Then will run the first instruction you gave me. I am still inclined to want to uninstall and reinstall, using the MCPR cleanup after uninstalling.

It may mean I get the destop icon back that Dinesh removed for me.

He noticed after that that the icon on the bottom was gone too..

I don't know how to reach him other than through here.

I sent an e-mail to the person that is to take information on my case...but haven't heard anything back.

I still feel safest with an uninstall, re-install...worst case scenarie is icon back and I will still get the error message which I didn't get last night.

I was online a long time with a free-standing Windows interface for an online Bridge site...

Thanks, again.....

Will let you know what I see.

terri

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 259 of 1,143

Thanks, rabbit2.   I decided to go with uninstall, MCPR, reboots, reinstall.

I have my annoying destop icon back (which isn't so annoying anymore) along with the immediate appearance of McAfee upon startup.

I also still have the error message.  Of course.

However, I feel safer.

I ran a scan, too, and reset my weekly scan times...all is working.

Whew.

Takes me about half hour total to uninstall, reboot, run MCPR, reboot, reinstall, reboot...well worth it.

terri

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 260 of 1,143

BalaSGS wrote:

Hi Team,

Sorry for the delayed response, we are still working on the Patch for this issue. Fix will be released soon.

This looks like good news. Will the other two issues be addressed by the patch as well though? (Repeated creation of Start Menu shortcut and the non-sticking Home Network customisation.)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community