cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I, too, get an shutdown error and would like help.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 112 of 1,143

Techs looking into this they will contact some of you to see what the cause is. Best to wait and see what happem

nb. I will update the thread if I hear back from them anything I can post.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 12/03/10 6:05:50 AM

There are a number of unrelated issues going on in this thread, but I just wanted everyone to know that we are aware of the problems you've been having and are working on correcting them.

- Desktop icon that reappears

- Network Manager losing custom descriptions/names

- Shutdown crashes

Thanks.

Reliable Contributor
Message 114 of 1,143

Thanks Shawn.

tonyorob
Level 7
Message 115 of 1,143

Just to let you know, I have another computer with this shutdown problem. It also is running XP SP3 and Version 10 of McAfee Total protection. I could give you more information if required. The computers seem to be working OK otherwise.

How is this problem solving going? Any ideas yet?

Reliable Contributor
Message 116 of 1,143

We mods have not been updated.

If Shawn reading this maybe he can update the thread if he has anything new to add.

Bowl4her
Level 7
Message 117 of 1,143

Hey Peacekeeper - I too am having the same issue.  In addition, I notice my IE8 browser crawls t oa stop as well and when I shut my machine down I get the memory error from MsSvhost.exe as well.  McAfee techs installed the latest SecurityCenter as it seems to have made things worse.  I have also run malbyte.com, IOBit Security and AdvanceSystem3Care products as well.  Nothing seems to work.

marie
Level 7
Message 118 of 1,143

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

I installed McAfee on a fresh install of XP, but received the error message about "McSvHost.exe" on shutdown.  I have used McAfee since they first came out without any problems, but the last two versions have caused problems.  Last Year's version forced me to contact Tech Support, which resulted in hanging up on the technician whose only solution was to "reinstall the product."  The problem was corrected with an update.  This time, I will avoid contacting the Tech Support.

Also, is there anyway to remove the Desktop Icon without editting my registry?  I think it is completely unacceptable for McAfee to force their icon onto my desktop without my permission.  Shame on McAfee!!!

Highlighted
jmo1112
Level 7
Message 119 of 1,143

Hey Peacekeeper.  I'm having the exact same issue as well.  Started with 2009, completely uninstalled, and since installing 2010, I get the error on shutdown.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rogerd
Level 7
Message 120 of 1,143

Same problem here on a Laptop that I have been asked to repair since the owner installed 2010 Update and renewed her subscription. If she's stuck with this for another year, it'll be a shame if I have to remove it and sell her something else instead. Dell PC running XP SP3, nothing fancy running at all. I've used the removal tool to remove all traces of old installation and reinstalled using her subscription on the Mcafee website. Virtual Technician mentions an inf file missing in the Firewall programme (other threads cover that one, still no solution) and I get this shutdown error as well.........................

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community