Not that we have been told

Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 72 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Peacekeeper wrote:

Not that we have been told

Well, I had a few minutes of hope, anyway.

Shortly after I left that message, I closed down for the night and got the error message.

Highlighted

Not sure if this is wirth crowing about re Mcsvhost error but

Back A bit I mentioned I went out and bought an old PC with XP so I could test it and mcafee's interaction. Well 2 weeks after setting up I got my 1st shutdown error. The box is pristine and unchanged from day1. Only mcafee updates added daily or MS updates added. There has been no surfing etc so at least I have a test box to run Mcafee's fix when it comes rather than begging some1 to test it. Also saves me trying it on my Son in Law's PC.

Fingers crossed for a fix soon. Oh the delay in shutdown was 10 secs in fact would have missed it if I looked away.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 74 of 1,143

Yoga,

Instead of Disabling all the services why shouldn't we disable only the McAfee Network Manager. It will work

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 75 of 1,143

I also see this problem exactly as described when using XP but not on a Vista machine (Home Premium SP2) sharing the same LAN and with the same settings in Security Center.

Connection to net is DSL

LAN is wired

XP Pro SP3

IE v 8.0.6001.18702, cipher 128, update 0

Pinging returns 4 x 213.123.84.16

Not keen to disable McAfee services because presumably I'll be left unprotected.

Regards

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 76 of 1,143

Hi

Cipher Strength - 128-bits

Product id - 55274-643-9148024-23720

Update version - SP2

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 77 of 1,143

I am getting this error also during shutdown. It's an "application error" saying "memory could not be written". I just installed Mcafee a couple days ago, it's the newest version. Doesn't seem like it happens every time, except lately it seems to.

Here's my about info:

securitycenter

Version 10.0

Build 10.0.569

lang en-us

update 2-14-2010

virusscan

version 14

build 14.0.306

update 2-16-2010

dat 5894

dat dt 2-16-2010

personalfirewall

version 11

build 11.0.378

2-14-2010

siteadvisor

ver 3

build 3.0.164

parental controls

v12.0

build 12.0.281

quickclean and shredder

v10.0

My laptop is a Dell e1505, with dell wireless 1390 wlan. Running XP SP3.  Also, not much 3rd party software installed, I stripped it pretty bare.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 78 of 1,143

Add me to the list having same problem. Having to force computer shut down.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 79 of 1,143

Add me also to this error on shutdown.

The 2010 install caused me so much grief last week (BSOD, etc), that I started last night with a CLEAN (fresh install) after running Dell Diagnostics for a day with NO hardware errors.

XP Pro SP3 - fully patched

DSL connected.

Only installed Virus Scan, Firewall, and SiteAdvisor (don't need parental control, spam, on-line backup junk).

Nothing else "trick" has been installed yet (no drivecrypt or threatfire or multimedia, etc).  Just trying to get through this upgrade before I spend days getting my computer back to the way I liked it.

Should have stayed with 2009

Message was edited by: Geode on 2/19/10 2:32:19 PM CST
Level 7
Message 80 of 1,143

So, did this "fix" it?

Since I've cleaned and reinstalled several times, I seriously doubt it.  But maybe you are the lucky one.

Anyone watching this thread, I see other odd behavior since moving to 2010.  My CPU is constantly "bouncing" between 0% and 20+% approx every 2 seconds .  The processes causing this behavior are McSvHost.exe  (6-15%) and mfefire.exe (5%).  I don't recall this behavior in 2009.

I've attached a jpg of the CPU Usage History from my Task Manager.  It's like I've given up 20% of my processing capability.

And if Rahul is reading this:  Do you have a fix for this behavior?

I tell you, much more of this and I'm pulling the plug on 2010 and moving to a competitor product.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community