Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 91 of 106

Re: McAfee and Thunderbird Do Not get along

Jump to solution

Update:

After weeks of asking, we've finally got one set of data to start looking at to figure this problem out.  Additional log sets will probably be necessary to confirm the issue, if it was indeed captured in this first data set.

The reason it's necessary to get the data sets is that this problem, as pointed out elsewhere in this thread, doesn't manifest on every Thunderbird+McAfee installation - similar to Tony's, my own home system (Win 7 64, i7 920, 6GB RAM running McAfee 12.1 and Thunderbird 17 with 2 email acounts, both with large Inboxes) doesn't seem to have this problem (or I'd have provided those much-needed logs myself).

Anyway, the bottom line is that we've now got that one set of data so we can investigate the problem.

I'll update this thread again when I get any concrete information to pass along.

Meanwhile, please post if you're willing to help us by allowing one of our more senior technicians to remote to your system to gather logs.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 92 of 106

Jump to solution

My chasing up helped it seemed.

Re being insensitive I do not agree as what we find is if 1 is working and another is not there is something different between installs. This we found in several instances where mine worked others did not or visa versa.

If Mcafee asks you for logs please jump at the chance as they will get this sorted out.

miked215
Level 8
Message 93 of 106

Jump to solution

Thx!  Hopefully this will be resolved soon either on a technical basis or with indictments against key McAfee executives.

Highlighted
miked215
Level 8
Message 94 of 106

Jump to solution

I turned off McAfee's "Real Time Scanning" about a week ago and Thunderbird has been running fine.

As a test I just turned "Real Time Scanning" on and Thunderbird immediately locked up.

I then turned "Real Time Scanning" off and Thunderbird immediately worked fine.

McAfee definitely has a problem with Thunderbird.

Why don't you get your software engineers to fix the problem?

Does anyone from McAfee actually monitor these postings?  Is there any other way to engage McAfee's "customer service experience"?

Mike

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 95 of 106

Jump to solution

miked215 wrote:

I turned off McAfee's "Real Time Scanning" about a week ago and Thunderbird has been running fine.

As a test I just turned "Real Time Scanning" on and Thunderbird immediately locked up.

I then turned "Real Time Scanning" off and Thunderbird immediately worked fine.

McAfee definitely has a problem with Thunderbird.

Why don't you get your software engineers to fix the problem?

Does anyone from McAfee actually monitor these postings?  Is there any other way to engage McAfee's "customer service experience"?

Mike

Technical Support are asking for logs.  Are you willing to participate?   The problem can only be solved if people allow support to collect logs and we've been told that up until now only 1 person has, which has not solved the issue.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/05/13 7:22:53 EDT AM
wleadie
Level 7
Message 96 of 106

Jump to solution

" Technical Support are asking for logs. "  Can you give more details ?

I turned off real time scanning since it makes Thunderbird run too slow.  If you can advise where I can get detailed instructions for providing logs, I'd be willing to put up with slow response time for 30 min at a time, if that would generate useful logs.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 97 of 106

Jump to solution

I'll email my contact in Tech Support for advice, he will probably get someone to contact you directly.

In the meanwhile have you tried leaving Real-Time Scanning on and unchecking the email attachments and instant messaging options in settings?  The latter seemed to help in an instance of this in the past.

Jump to solution

I too have turned off real time scanning, and had no problem since. However, give me the instructions for producing a log and I'll happily turn it back on tomorrow and suffer the consequences!

Laurie

Reliable Contributor
Message 99 of 106

Jump to solution

Tech support are the ones to get logs we helpers do not usually do that. Peter has contacted the support lead tech and he will get in contact with some of you to get these logs. Maybe try as Peter suggested turning off email scanning and IM scanning.

Actually My email scanning is off so just turned it on and will monitor it.

Reliable Contributor
Message 100 of 106

Jump to solution

Ok 1st email sent after I activated this locks up the delivering box for 45 secs.

Clicking on emails with links in them makes TB not responding so email attachment scanning appears broken though my tech contact has it on and all serene. Please try disabling email scanning and leave ity off for the time being that way real time scanning will still protect you if you try to open the files.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 15/05/13 7:44:32 AM

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community