BCFoster
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 71 of 106

Re: McAfee and Thunderbird Do Not get along

Jump to solution

Beheer,

Thanks for the note.  Two things:

1. i am using this thread as a gentle reminder to my team to spend more time on the forums.

2. Regarding what changed between 11.6 to 12.1: we changed our whole engine.  This engine change was a big effort.  We moved from a 95% focus on signatures to more of a focus on heuristics, cloud lookups, and behavioral detection.  You might have noticed that our DAT set decreased in size form over 100mbs in 11.6 to <35mbs in 12.1.   The older engine was >6-7 years old and probably had logic that prevented conflict with Thunderbird.  We did not see this issue in our beta for 12.x. 

Regards,

wsmwk
Level 7
Message 72 of 106

Jump to solution

BCFoster, thanks for the great details. In which version is the update available ?

(In January you noted "The changes were made to the [12.1] AMCore content (engine) which should be rolled out to all users over next month.")

pcmsi
Level 7
Message 73 of 106

Jump to solution

To McAfee:

Today I was again saw the dreaded restart after I updated command.  After the restart, when I right click and open McAfee AntiVirus Plus, the interface had been updated (again) and again it was slowing Thunderbird.  I did the usual 'real time scanning fix' and it is running fine.

This is approx the third time I have been updated to the new interface with the same thiderbird problem. 

Since I am not 100% comfortable with the real time scanning disabled (if it wasn't a NECESSARY feature of the software, why is it there??) when my interface is updated and the slowness appears, I have uninstalled McAfee and used the CD to reinstall.  Even after updating, the interface remails the old (reliable, fast) interface.

Today's update also requested a restart and my engine has been updated and the slowness is back.

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version:12.1

Build: 12.1.323

Affld: 0-1611

Language: en-us

Last Update: 4/2/2013

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anit Spyware

Version: 16.1
Build: 16.1.172

Last update: 4/2/2013

Engine Version: 1483.0

Engine creation date: 4/2/2013

So I am contemplating trying to revert back to the old engine once again!!

My subscription expires at the end of May and if this issue is not resolved, I will not be renewing.  My PC is the first of approx 10 at my work all running McAfee, and we will be looking for something different.....

BRAD

Jump to solution

I'm with Brad on this.

Brad: thanks for replying and listing your results. 

I have McAfee for three computers, running it on two that don't use Thunderbird.  I, too, will not renew it when my current subscription expires.

McAfee Employee dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
Message 75 of 106

Jump to solution

I've contacted our Dev team to confirm that the fix was implemented; they believe they've fixed the problem.  From your posts, we obviously haven't fixed it (or there's another problem that has the same symptoms).

I've asked our Forum Support guys to reach out to you to collect some data from a couple of systems so we can figure out what is interferring with TB running properly.

Thank you for your help on this.

Doug K

toddmc
Level 7
Message 76 of 106

Jump to solution

The problem is back.  It came back with this latest update.

The solution is, as described in the posts above, to turn off real-time scanning on Email attachments -- but this wasn't required until the latest update.

Sad but not incomprehensible.  I would say, without knowing your development operation, that you might want to get a Thunderbird setup as part of your regression testing.

-- Todd

karthiks
Level 12
Message 77 of 106

Jump to solution

toddmc,

I have sent you an email asking for some details, please reply back

Highlighted
miked215
Level 8
Message 78 of 106

Jump to solution

My Thunderbird client was running extremely slow and sometimes crashing.

I Googled on the issue and came to this posting.

I turned off my McAfee "Real Time Scanning" and everything now works fine.

If McAfee cannot get its software to work with Thunderbird they should give everyone who is running Thunderbird a refund.

If this is some deliberate attempt by McAfee and Microsoft to screw up Thunderbird, executives from both companies should be indicted!

Could someone from McAfee respond to this posting and let everyone know when this problem will be fixed?

Mike

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 79 of 106

Jump to solution

Some reports of problems have been noted but at least until someone from McAfee returns to this thread, the best bet is to contact Technical Support.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

miked215
Level 8
Message 80 of 106

Jump to solution

I called McAfee technical support: 877-232-9911.

I got some very nice girl in India who was just reading through a script. All she wanted to do was take me through a process for changing the settings on my computer, restoring them to the default settings.   Whenever I tried to tell her that the McAfee software engineers needed to look at the postings in this thread she just kept returning to the script.  Apparently she had some checklist that she was required to go through.  I just wasted a half hour of my life.

I am coming to the conclusion that McAfee SUCKS and I need to find another option.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Peter, is there any way you can get the McAfee product development team to look at the postings on this thread?

Thx.

Mike

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community