cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Total Protection "Alert boxes," "Turn Off" & "Apply" buttons refuse to work.

Similar issue to another user's problem -- except it's not just Alert Boxes, but also the "Turn Off" button for "real-time scanning" and several "apply" buttons that refuse to work (I am the system administrator, so have all the relevant permissions and ownerships). I have already deactivated, uninstalled (with a 45 minute phone call to support that was escalated this afternoon), cleaned, reinstalled, reactivated, etc., to no avail.  These buttons work fine on my other 2 licensed machines, but not this one.  I need to turn off real time scanning from time to time, as well as get rid of Alert boxes that won't go away, occupying valuable real estate on my desktop.  Is it time to go back to Norton?

WinXP Pro - sp3 build 2600; 4gb ram, IE8 - v.8.0.6001.18702;  Mcafee Security center v10.5 - build 10.5.195; McAfee VirusScan 14.5 - build 14.5.113

0 Kudos
17 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Total Protection "Alert boxes," "Turn Off" & "Apply" buttons refuse to work.

You are signed in as Admin so that isn't the issue and your IE8 seems to be the latest version, so that's another possibility answered.  Is your machine totally up to date with Microsoft Updates (as against Windows Updates) - i.e. all non-critical updates as well as the critical ones?

Is Java and Flash also up to date?  The latter shouldn't make a difference but wise to check them anyway.

The user interface relies on IE regardless of default browser so open I.E. and go to Tools/Internet Options/Content and ensure that Content Advisor is NOT enabled.

Also try resetting the browser by going to the Advanced tab and clicking Reset.  Apply and OK it.

Close and reopen the browser and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons & re-enable the add-ons.

See if that helps.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Re: McAfee Total Protection "Alert boxes," "Turn Off" & "Apply" buttons refuse to work.

Along with the above suggestions try setting IE as your default browser and check the status.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos

Well, tried all that -- reset IE8 to defaults (content addvisor is never "on" in my machines), IE8 is the default browser, etc.  Still no luck.

Here's a list of what will and will not "work."  As you can see, some things work and some do not.  Maybe you guys can spot a pattern. . .

General Settings and Alerts:  "Apply" does not work when changing checkboxes.

Real Time Scanning:  "Turn Off" does not work, "Apply does work when changing checkboxes.

Quick Clean Setup: "Save" fails, cannot change settings.

Anti-Spam: "Turn Off and "Apply" work perfectly.

Firewall:  "Turn Off" and "Apply" work perfectly.

Automatic Updates: Everything works.

0 Kudos

Oh -- and the &#^@&!! "Alert Windows" still won't go away!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Run the free version of THIS software after updating it and let it remove everything it finds.

This is just a precaution.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/09/10 12:57:02 EDT PM
0 Kudos

Oh, I'm familiar with "THIS" program -- and have used it for several years.  Downloaded a fresh copy (I had uninstalled it when all this McAfee stuff started), ran it, and received "(No malicious items detected)" throughout.

That's what is so puzzling about this problem.  I ran Norton's uninstall program to remove all traces of Norton and/orSymantec products, ran the McAfee pre-installer (just to make sure) before installing Total Protection, followed the install instructions to the letter on all three of my licensed machines, and the other two installations work perfectly.  After all, I've been using McAfee off and on since the mid '80s, when McAfee was free for personal use.

Anyway, no malware, two reboots, and the problem persists.

Cheers!

Michael

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Well unless Dinesh has any suggestions I think Technical Support Chat (Useful Links above) should be brought into the equation.   This is very strange as you seem to be doing everything right.

By the way the installer includes the preinstall tool anyway.

0 Kudos

Thanks for trying -- I'm still waiting for "free telephone support" to call me back on this issue as well.  When we started this thread, the initial McAfee uninstall had somehow killed the computer's ability to get to the internet (intermediate filters), and we were only able to get back online with "safe mode with networking."  I was able to get a reinstall completed after that, but with the same issues that had prompted my initiating  a support request in the first place.

Oh, the Firewall popup for "program wants access" won't allow interaction, either.  Java gets real mad about that. . . [hehe].

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers!

Michael

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Have you tried uninstalling Java (Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs) and reinstalling the latest from  http://www.java.com/ ?

I have a feeling that something's wrong with the OS in this case or perhaps the browser add-ons..only a theory of course.

0 Kudos