cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Total Protection gets a major facelift tonight

19-Apr-2010: My desktop and laptop computers suddenly prompted me with a "not fully protected" alert tonight.  In fact, the "M" icon had an "x" icon on it, during the entire time that (I assumed) McAfee was receiving some sort of large update.  Once that was completed, my McAfee Total Protection suite prompted me to reboot.  Once I rebooted, I immediately noticed the new "M" icon which was now a shield instead of the prior square-box icon.  When I opened the Total Protection Security Center, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the entire tool received a major facelift.  Under Navigation > About, the new versions are listed as SecurityCenter: 10.0.580, VirusScan 14.0.309, DAT 5956.0000, Engine 5400.1158, Personal Firewall 11.0.378, Site Advisor 3.1.0.162, Anti-Spam 11.0.261, Content 3516, and Parental Controls 12.0.283.

I can't recall the version I had prior .. but I assume this was a large update to the entire suite.  Let's just hope it contains more than just a facelift, as I still often experience MCODS.EXE consuming nearly all of my processor on WinXP Pro machines.

Kind Regards,

Paul

16 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 17

Re: McAfee Total Protection gets a major facelift tonight

Yes that's the new design for 2010.  It has, like all software, the odd teething troubles, but hopefully will work better than before.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/04/10 7:57:13 EDT AM

Hello Ex-Brit,

Thanks for the timely reply.  I have a few follow-up comments / questions:

1. What other Windows O/S will receive this update, as my Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 boxes remain at the "prior" version?  This remains true, even after clicking "Check for updates".

2. The new UI, while dramatically different and laced with bright green, does not permit the user to resize the window. This is a poor design, especially when (for example) managing the firewall settings / application access levels.  As I recall, there was literally an "outer" and "inner" scroll bar!  McAfee; are you kidding?!

3. Despite having the "prior" version running for some time now, this latest version is triggering requests to confirm internet access (inbound and/or outbound) for a few applications that existed previously.  While that is likely a good thing, it's somewhat concerning that it failed to do so previously.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Message was edited by: Paulie-D on 4/21/10 9:43:18 PM CDT

on 4/21/10 9:43:30 PM CDT
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Paulie-D wrote:

Hello Ex-Brit,

Thanks for the timely reply.  I have a few follow-up comments / questions:

1. What other Windows O/S will receive this update, as my Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 boxes remain at the "prior" version?  This remains true, even after clicking "Check for updates".

2. The new UI, while dramatically different and laced with bright green, does not permit the user to resize the window. This is a poor design, especially when (for example) managing the firewall settings / application access levels.  As I recall, there was literally an "outer" and "inner" scroll bar!  McAfee; are you kidding?!

3. Despite having the "prior" version running for some time now, this latest version is triggering requests to confirm internet access (inbound and/or outbound) for a few applications that existed previously.  While that is likely a good thing, it's somewhat concerning that it failed to do so previously.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Message was edited by: Paulie-D on 4/21/10 9:43:18 PM CDT

on 4/21/10 9:43:30 PM CDT

1.  They all will get it eventually.

2.  The old one didn't permit resizing either, although it was bigger.  It is a feature that we have suggested many times.  For thos with bad eyesight there is always Windows built-in magnifier.

3.  You can alter your firswall alerts if you wish.   Just click Web and Email Protection. then Firewall, then Smart Advice & Advanced settings.  You can alter the way SecurityCenter handles all alerts via the main page, Navigation at top right, then General Settings & Alerts.

Hello Ex-Brit,

Appreciate your feedback / opinions.  However, I'll offer this rebuttal:

1. Still waiting .. but no sign of it on Vista or Win7 boxes.  Why does a "Check for updates" result in an "up-to-date" status - this is clearly not the case within my network!  It's a foolish approach by McAfee to allow this mixed level of protection.

2. Even under a magnifying lens, crap looks like crap.  There's no disguising a flawed design.  I know I am not alone in despising UI's that lock me into a limited on-screen real estate.  At the very least, the main window should allow resizing.

3. Not keen on that suggestion, since you're encouraging newbie's to surpress otherwise important notices.  Perhaps you missed my point:  The action I described gives the appearance that the prior version of McAfee didn't notice that the particular app(s) were gaining internet access .. otherwise, why were they not reported as such until now?  I'm glad to see the warning now .. but it's lessened my trust for the McAfee solution in general.

In closing, the following article issued today lends to my diminishing trust for the McAfee solution - at one's home office or in a business setting:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/mcafee-update--shutting-down-xp-machines/

Excerpt: "Botched McAfee update shutting down corporate XP machines worldwide"

Kind Regards,

Paul

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Well I tried.

Ex_Brit, indeed and appreciated nonetheless.

Ex_Brit wrote:

Well I tried.

What's the best protocol? Discuss issues with this update here or launch specific threads?

We have four licenced XP machines on the home network. Mine got the update automatically but we had to update the others (two so far) by downloading manually. No problem.

The Home Network management feature is now terribly erratic. Data on the remote machines appears and disappears every few minutes. Otherwise everything looks good.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 17

David I would suggest starting your own thread with as many details as possible, that way it will garner more attention.

I guess this section, SecurityCenter 10 - 2010, is as good a one as any.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/05/10 11:04:39 EDT AM

Thanks! Tagged onto "Protection Status Unknown", which looks like the same issue.