cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idosew
Level 7

McAfee Total Protection-Firewall and Wireless Printing Issue

Jump to solution

I have a Gateway Vista Desktop in my home wireless network, as well as a Canon mulitfunction printer (MP620).  This setup has worked fine for over a year.  A week or so ago, I started getting a 'printer not responding' message whenever I tried to print something.  Printer is on, green light is steady, after contacting Canon Tech support, I found that if I disabled the Firewall, it printed!  Canon advised me as to what apps needed Firewall permission (and they are in the list in Firewall).  I also added several ports (8611,8612,8613) to the permission list.  Still getting the same message.  My family has now been trained to disable the firewall if they want to print anything, but there must be a better way.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Total Protection-Firewall and Wireless Printing Issue

Jump to solution

From another thread on the same issue:

If your computers are both behind a router, then you can try to enable Windows File Sharing in Firewall:

- Open McAfee SecurityCenter and go to Firewall feature, expand Ports and System Services;

- Look for "Windows File Sharing (NETBIOS).." and click on the checkbox before it;

Also make sure that the Firewall Permissions are "Full Access" and that the spooler sub system is included in the permissions.

Try that and see if it helps.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/10/10 11:42:55 EDT AM
0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

From another thread on the same issue:

If your computers are both behind a router, then you can try to enable Windows File Sharing in Firewall:

- Open McAfee SecurityCenter and go to Firewall feature, expand Ports and System Services;

- Look for "Windows File Sharing (NETBIOS).." and click on the checkbox before it;

Also make sure that the Firewall Permissions are "Full Access" and that the spooler sub system is included in the permissions.

Try that and see if it helps.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/10/10 11:42:55 EDT AM
0 Kudos
idosew
Level 7

Jump to solution

NetBios was checked, but spooler subsystem was 'block'ed.  Thanks so much for the help.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You're welcome.

0 Kudos