Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

McAfee Shredder

I recently had issues with McAfee and was forced to reinstall it. Before the reinstall I was able to right-click on my recycle bin and shred it. Since the reinstall I've lost that option. I would like the option back.

I run WinXP SP2
I also have ZoneAlarm, although while McAfee tells me that they conflict with each other, I find that they work quite well together.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 21

RE: McAfee Shredder

You must have had an older version as that is no longer a feature. However you can still shred the Recycle bin contents only if you wish. From the help files.....

Shred files and folders

You can shred files and folders from your computer's hard drive, including items in your Recycle Bin and in your Temporary Internet Files folder.

1. Open Shredder. How?
  2. On the McAfee SecurityCenter pane, under Common Tasks, click Advanced Menu.
  3. On the left pane, click Tools.
  4. Click Shredder.

• On the Shred files and folders pane, under I want to, click Erase files and folders.
  • Under Shredding Level, click one of the following shredding levels:

• Quick: Shreds the selected item(s) once.
    • Comprehensive: Shreds the selected item(s) 7 times.
    • Custom: Shreds the selected item(s) up to 10 times.

• Click Next.
  • Do one of the following:

• In the Select file(s) to shred list, click either Recycle Bin contents or Temporary Internet files.
    • Click Browse, navigate to the file that you want to shred, select it, and then click Open.

• Click Next.
  • Click Start.
  • When Shredder finishes, click Done.

• 0 Kudos
    Level 7

Re: McAfee Shredder

I cannot figure out how to USE the shredder.   After choosing "complete" shred type, it only has a 'cancel' button.  I've read where it says to select the 'next' button.... not there.  What am I doing wrong?!  Thank you.

Message was edited by: gcaide on 9/1/10 9:08:17 PM GMT-06:00
    0 Kudos
    Level 21

Re: McAfee Shredder

You can configure it by clicking the symbol to the right of that section in the utilities.

0 Kudos