Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 17

RE: McAfee SecurityCenter & Windows Live Messenger - Scanning Received Files

That seems to be a really good question for a Windows Live group to answer. I guess I haven't tried to download anything since Windows Live went "Live" if you get my drift.

Trust MS to ruin their own product.

I can understand the safety aspects of it but it should accept any valid anti-virus and shutup after that.

I've flagged this but noone has answered yet.
BobT36
Level 7
Message 12 of 17

Cheers dude, will see what they say.

When BT were using Norton as their main security provider (that comes packaged with broadband) it automatically detected it and input the filepath there itself, manually scanning received files/downloads as well as autoprotecting. Other AV software that I've used I had to select a certain scanner module and then use %f or similar paramaters to tell it to trigger a specific scan on whatever file had been transferred.

No idea what to do with this but there should be something at least. The only thing with stuff like this is that the AV side usually say its the Program's problem, and the program devs say its the AV's problem, heh. 😛

As said I've got round it for now by just telling it to use one of the random modules and have it not doing anything but meh, it should only be a temporary solution.
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 17

I just sent you an invitation on my WLM - can you send me something to see what I can find out about this?
BobT36
Level 7
Message 14 of 17

Just to clarify for others we gave it a test on msn, and normal files seem to work, but it refuses to accept zips or exes if there is no virus scanner set, (unless ya download the windows live onecare scanner)

As stated in the previous post, just telling it to use one of the random modules in the folder, ("C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcods.exe") to get round this temporarily, however I assume its not an advised "solution" since it can't be what it was designed for and it might not work with other programs that similary need to detect that ya have AV software installed.
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 17

mcods.exe would be the correct module to call for such an operation, so I don't see anything wrong with that setting.
LARJ
Level 7
Message 16 of 17

Re: RE: McAfee SecurityCenter & Windows Live Messenger - Scanning Received Files

...had the issue described above.

On a machine with McAfee Enterprise loaded, I specified [...Full Path..]\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\scan32.exe as the "Scan files for viruses using:" value in the MNS File Transfer options and this worked nicely. The on-demand scanner ran and I could send and receive zip files with only a warning message and the scan result window being displayed.

On a machine with standard McAfee nothing happens when the equivalent on-demand scan module (mcods.exe) is specified. If anyone has solved this problem I would be interested.

The work around has already been described above so no big deal, the downloaded zip file can be scanned manually (just to make sure) using standard McAfee after it has been downloaded.

Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Re: RE: McAfee SecurityCenter & Windows Live Messenger - Scanning Received Files

On a machine with standard McAfee nothing happens when the equivalent on-demand scan module (mcods.exe) is specified. If anyone has solved this problem I would be interested.

Even if the full path is spelled out?  Downloaded files are scanned silently anyway so not too sure in the home products how to check if it happens or not.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/08/10 11:56:24 EDT AM

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community