cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee Security window won't stay open

Hello,

I have a Windows XP Media Center, 2GB RAM, Single Core, and have just downloaded and installed the McAfee Internet Security from the Bank of America website (free use for 1 year).  I typically use Firefox as my web browser, Spyware Terminator and SuperAntiSpyware as the additional security products on my computer.

After the McAfee download and install, everything worked fine for a few days, however, for the last 2 days, I've been unable to open the McAfee Security Center window, run a scan or update the product.  I have also received no alerts from McAfee product or the Windows Alert that tells you that there is a problem with your firewall or antivirus or that they are not running.

I have not uninstalled/re-installed the product as yet.  That is next on my list, however,I wanted to try this forum first.

I was also unsuccessful in finding anything on the internet concerning this topic.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies
Dinz
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Security window won't stay open

Hi,

Thanks for providing all the required information,

Have you ran the Mcafee virtual Technician , If not run it from http://mvt.mcafee.com and post the session id , so that I could review the installed files and keep you updated on it.

Moving thread to security center 9 – 2009

Regards,
Dinesh K

Message was edited by: Dinz on 12/30/09 7:31:57 AM GMT-06:00

Many thanks for your quick response.

I'm currently at work, so I won't be able to run the Virtual Technician until I get back home this afternoon.

I'll let you know as soon as I run the Virtual Technician and get the info.

Again thanks.

Dinz
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

Are you still facing the issue with McAfee, If so please let us know , so that we could help you.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Thanks for the follow-up.  I just got in from work.  I tried the McAfee Technical software you told me about, but it too didn't work.

I had been meaning to reformat my hard drive.  I did, and I was able to successfully install McAfee Internet Security.  So far everything is working great - am pleased.

On another issue.  I ran a root detection software (not McAfee) over the weekend (McAfee was also running) and discovered 3 hits on the rootkit scan.  When I ran a full McAfee Scan right after that, those 3 rootkits were discovered and deleted by McAfee.  However, when I checked the McAfee log (below), I've discovered that the same 3 rootkits have been repeatedly detected and either quarantened or deleted.  My question is, are the rootkits self replicating and reappearing?  If so, how can I permanently get rid of them.  I've attached a screen shot of the McAfee Detection Log from today.  The files are the "Generic Pup.x "  and   "RemADm-Pskill" that keep on appearing in the "Detection Name" column on the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 10th of January..

Any ideas???

Again Many thanks for everything.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.