cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zionxtra
Level 7

McAfee Security Centre - Virus scan froze @ 35% every time. Unable to change real-time scanning settings

Hi People,

3 days ago I updated my virus definitions and attempted to do a manual scan. Kept freezing at 35% and on no particular file. Also the real-time scanning link never opened up when you click it. All other links to settings worked.

Technical support asked me to uninstall McAfee and purge all references from hard drive using steps they suggested. Removed McAfee security centre using 'add/remove programs'. Used McPreinstall and MCPR. All ok. Downloaded McAfee Security centre from my account. all ok until it started to install. froze at the software installation screen.

Tech support then asked me to install in 'safe mode with networking'. Same problem occured with install freezing at software installation screen.

All other programs on computer working ok and not encountered any errors.

Tech support escalated problem yesterday.

Any help is appreciated,

Dan.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Security Centre - Virus scan froze @ 35% every time. Unable to change real-time scanning settings

Tech Support should be able to sort this out as they have all the resources to do so, but a few questions for you to see if anything rings a bell with us volunteers.

What operating system and service pack is this, get that info by right-clicking Computer (My Computer in XP) and selecting Properties.

How much installed memory (RAM) does that machine have and what motherboard processor type?  (Properties should give you all that)

Also how much free hard drive space is there?  Open Computer (My Computer in XP) and the display should tell you that if you go to the View tab at the top and select Details.

Last question do you now or did you have at any stage another brand of security software installed - of any type?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Security Centre - Virus scan froze @ 35% every time. Unable to change real-time scanning settings

Another thing to check...

McAfee may be having trouble getting past disk read errors.

Go to Start/Start Search and type cmd

Right-click cmd and select Run as Administrator

Type in chkdsk /r (with the space) and click Enter

It will say it can't continue because the volume is in use, try at restart Y/N?

Type Y and click the Enter key.  Reboot and let it do its thing.

If you have more than one drive letter - i.e. several partitions and the system you are using isn't C: then type chkdsk X: /r (spaces included and alter X to whatever).

Another block is often when there are ovely compressed files, i.e. compressed files within compressed files.   It sometimes takes forever to unpack them.  A compressed hard drive can also be a slow down.

0 Kudos
zionxtra
Level 7

Windows XP Media Centre Edition Service Pack 3

Processor = Pentium(R) D

File System NTFS on C:

Used 52.2 GB of 460 GB on HD

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX

2 GB RAM

I have always used McAfee since I bought the machine back in 2007. Although, today I downloaded AVG and performed a manual scan. That froze around 35% also. Also tried HouseCall an online web based virus checker which also froze.

Now found my disk defragment program also freezes along with chkdsk. chkdsk freezes at stge 4 of 5 verifying file data.

Starting to think my hard disk is faulty. Can anyone recommend AVG PC tuneup 2011. Thought some registry files might be corrupted.

I have not compressed anything on purpose. I have a number of zip files but not many.

Thanks

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That sounds ominous and I've experienced similar happenings when one of my hard drives has started to fail, twice in as many years.  (Not the same hard drive)  That will teach me to stick with Western Digital top of the line in future, not Seagate el cheapo.

I hope it isn't that.  The best people to tell you would be a PC repair shop.

I don't recommend 'Tune-Up' tools or registry cleaners in general as they invariably adjust, obliterate or otherwise maim perfectly good registry keys at some stage or another.

Others reading this may have more suggestions.

You could try McAfee's Technical Support online chat linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  They have various tools at their disposal to diagnose problems like this if you don't mind linking up with them. 

0 Kudos
zionxtra
Level 7

Hi people,

I performed a virus scan and kept freezing at a Rome Total War file. deleted offending program. Now scan will freeze at 65% on C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB952069_WM9$\logagent.exe

tech recommends contacting Microsoft after initiating chkdsk got error. McAfee scan freezed in a windows file.

Thanks

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I think perhaps you need to go to whomever makes the hard drive and download their diagnostic tools to check the hard drive status.

0 Kudos
zionxtra
Level 7

Hi,

Well the technician managed to install 'internet security' and then fiddle with subscriptions to convert it to 'security center'. Defrag, full scans and security centre real-time scanning all ok.

I want to know what caused the original problem. Any history of a Medieval total war mod called third age total war conflicting with mcafee?

Thanks Ex_Brit for advice.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Nothing I've heard but anything is possible I suppose.  By the way Internet Security Suite is the name of the software and SecurityCenter is what the user interface is called when you open it in Windows.  So I guess he managed to install it OK and got rid of the original problem?

0 Kudos
zionxtra
Level 7

Yes all OK thanks.

0 Kudos