I see the McAfee Security Center icon on my desktop on every start up. It shows up again if I remove it. It's already present in the notification area. It's not disturbing any functionality, but it's annoying to see it again and again. Any reason why it keeps showing up and how to stop this behavior.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thanks a ton karthik. The issue is resolved and I don't see the M on my desktop anymore. As I said earlier, I have the same problem with my other 4 computers. Shall I perform the same routine on them too?
Thanks to you too, Peter. You guys have been really great help.
Your suggestion to put it in the FAQ is not a bad idea since there may be many with this problem, but it's up to McAfee what they see fit to do.
I am posting this problem as 'resolved'
This was a problem but was supposed to have been fixed quite a while ago. My only thought here would be that perhaps your version of McAfee is a little older because it may be provided by a 3rd party such as your ISP or PC maker?
I'm just guessing of course.
I suggest you open a case with Technical Support, it's a free phone call or you can use the online chat client. Linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.
McAfee is an Internet security software package which consists of several different services such as antivirus protection, a firewall and spam filters. McAfee is a popular program that comes installed on many new major brand PCs like Dell. One of the main drawbacks of McAfee is that it can run many background processes on your computer, which can hamper computing speed, especially if you are trying to do RAM and processor intensive activities such as media editing or gaming. In these cases, you may wish to disable McAfee Security Center to free up system resources.
Thanks for the helping reply Peter,
1. I bought my McAfee Total Protection Package on line directly from McAfee. I have been using McAfee for the last 8 odd years.
2. The current package is on auto renewal so there was no gap in the subcription for at least last 3years. I started having this problem last year and I saw a message on some other forum that this was due to some technical glitch at McAfee and will disappear soon.
3. At that time, the Security Center box became empty too. Only the graphics were visible. It was resolved after I re-installed the Windows 7 and updated the Java software. But the reappearing of the Icon didn't go away.
4. The peoblem is not limited to my computer (laptop) only. I have another laptop and three desktops for my Home-Office set up. All have this similar problem. Other features of my package such as virus protection, live scan, site advisor, and personal firewall etc all work great on all computers.
5. To be very frank, I don't have any other technical problem except for the annoying icon showing up everytime I start any of my computers.
Do you thinks this is exciting enough for you.
Please try following the steps given in the below link and check your issue is getting resolved,
No. It doesn't happen to my only one machine. as I said, It's happening to all my 5 computers. Let's see what comes out eventually.
Ah OK, sorry. Let's see what karthiks says and if they can get that link in the FAQ fixed. Normally you can turn text into a .reg fix but there is some text missing I think anyway.