cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee Security Center blank window

No, I haven't messed with any fonts on this system.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 72 of 81

OK, it was just a thought.

As this thread has picked up activity again, and as a solution to the wordless McAfee screen issue has been mentioned, I decided to install IE9 on both of my computers (Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, both fully up-to-date via Windows Update) once again to see if anything has changed over the months.  Same result as before - the blank screen, as I showed on page 3 of this thread back in late May 2011, appears once again.  Uninstalling IE9 allowed McAfee to display as normal, just as before.  I have removed no fonts from my system.  For me, the situation remains exactly the same as I described back in May.  Just thought I should put this out there.

Regards,

R. Todd King

Reliable Contributor
Message 74 of 81

Thanks, will pass all this on to the people investigating the issue.

Highlighted

One useful thing that the Microsoft tech guy told me (his other advice was to reformat my hard drive, which would have done nothing to remedy my issue given my modus operandi) was that there will be a round of Windows updates on February 14. Since, somewhere along the line, an update actually fixed IE9 on my Vista laptop, there’s a chance this might help those still with the blank-screen problem as it might contain any missing files preventing it from working.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 76 of 81

Fingers crossed for you. There must be another cause as my ie9 and 5 of the family Pcs all work as they should. Strange.

See what the 14th brings

I have a feeling IE9 has a lot of files that it’s dependent on—like system fonts—that it hasn’t told us about. Also a rational mind wouldn’t expect such files to be the cause. I really wouldn’t put it past Microsoft after this experience.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 78 of 81

From ComputerWorld :

Next Tuesday's IE update will address one or more vulnerabilities in all versions of the browser, from the decade-old IE6 to last year's IE9. Storms pointed out that IE6's update is graded as "moderate," third on Microsoft's scale, while the newer browsers' patches will be pegged critical or important, depending on the version and operating system.

From Microsoft :

Microsoft Security Bulletin - Feb.JPG

It's to fix a Remote-Code Execution vulnerability, so I doubt it will affect the blank-screen problem. But it might.

One thing that might be worth trying is the MBSA tool, which will scan your Windows and IE setup rather as MVT does for McAfee :

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer

The Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) allows administrators to scan local and remote systems for missing security updates as well as common security misconfigurations. For more information about MBSA, visit Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer.

I might try that Analyser myself, Hayton: thank you for letting us know. While I have my IE9 working now, the Microsoft chap made all this noise about my missing updates, and how it was my fault that I used System Restore. Thank goodness he was wrong about the need for a reformat, and I wouldn’t mind seeing if he was wrong about the updates my PC chose not to take.

PS.: He was wrong. MBSA reports I have every update.

Message was edited by: JackYan on 2/11/12 4:22:32 AM CST
Reliable Contributor
Message 80 of 81

Locking this thread as it's a year old.  Anyone with a similar issue please start your own new thread, thank you.