cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee Security Center blank window

Hi Jayadeep:

Thank you for getting back to me. As the error seemed to be further-reaching than just McAfee (notice my Windows gadgets were affected as well, on the right of the screen), I tinkered and removed IE9 in favour of the old IE8.

However, your instructions are excellent. I hope it’s all right I don’t use them just yet—no doubt Windows will automatically “upgrade” me to IE9 at some stage and when that happens, I will implement them.

The car is an Aston Martin V8 Vantage S. I work in publishing (among other things) so we get high-res publicity photographs.

Best,

Jack

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 81

Also we had another user install IE9 from a link in a MS newsletter. His install was for the release canditate version that seems to show a blank screen as well as the beta did.. The download from the MS site should be fine. Was yours that 1?

Hi Tony:

Thank you for getting back to me. Mine was not a beta or release candidate. I went to the Microsoft site itself after release to get IE9.

I had read here on these forums of the pre-launch ones’ problems, but mine wasn’t one.

Best,

Jack

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 81

Did you uninstall any beta versions of IE prior to downloading the final IE9?

If so try the following....

Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced

Click Reset, Apply and OK any prompts.

Close and reopen IE9.  Go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any add-ons you need.

See if that helps with the blank SecurityCenter issue.

If not I would contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page.

McAfee SecurityCenter is basically an Internet Explorer page, albeit internal, so if it remains blank then there has to be something clashing with IE9.

Nice to hear from you again, Peter.

I tried to install a beta, but the installation actually failed and I still had IE8.

I imagine it’s possible some files went on. I have removed IE9 but resetting the options isn’t a bad idea anyway. I’ll go and do that—thank you.

Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 81

Jack,

It's IE9 Beta that may be sticking around, right?

Try this which I gleaned from answers.microsoft.com...

If you can't see it under Installed Updates, run this command twice from an command prompt (cmd.exe) with admin rights:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

this removes the IE9 with the help of the command line. Credits go to Nadine K. (German MS Support Engineer)

To run CMD with Admin Rights go to Start/All Programs/Accessories and right-click Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  This is regardless of whether or not you are already signed in as an Administrator- level user.

Hi Peter:

It could be—I’ve run this from the command line. It took a while for the first run but I received this:

ERROR: Files of type "Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum" not found.

I might get IE9 again to see how it fares, especially now I know how to get rid of it (and its set-up files).

Best,

Jack

Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 81

Well if it isn't listed under installed updates then it isn't there, just thought I'd throw that one in.

The reset of IE8 should have worked though.   It's not beta also...I hope?

Peter, IE9 was absent from Installed Updates after my first removal. My IE8 is the proper one.

I put IE9 back on just now, but the error remains the same. I suspect Microsoft has not tested the program properly if it is so inconsistent.

Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 81

It may be something really simple such as a clashing add-on but I will let the technicians check that.  Let's hope Jay answers soon.