cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SShell
Level 7

McAfee Security Center Hijacked?

I had purchased McAfee Total Protection last month (Nov, 2008). My computer runs Windows XP, is a DELL and relatively new (6 months). Everything had been working fine until very recently...I cannot successfully open the McAfee Security Center. The icon appears in my tray, but once I click on it a McAfee window opens but remains white in color with a black bar across the top with the McAfee icon, and the minimize and close buttons. I do not need task manager to close it. My Windows-based Security Center through the control panel reads that my virus protection is McAfee and is engaged. I had since performed an online scan of my computer using Kapersky, then checked for spyware using AdAware and Spybot, my routine adware removeres. I followed up with a disk clean-up and a defrag. Upon restart, everything is the same in that I cannot seem to access McAfee! I also restored the computer to a previous point before the problem revealed itself and that did not work either. Please help.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
SShell
Level 7

RE: Hi

Hello,
I attempted to install the Windows Script 5.7 and an error appeared stating that this script is an older version than what is currently installed. I did install Windows Service Pack 3 (SP3) very recently; in fact, close to the time where this problem may have begun. Could this be an issue? Should I go to a restore point before SP3 was installed?
Thanks
0 Kudos
bua_ako
Level 7

IE 8 Beta 2?

Hi,

are you using IE version 8 beta 2?

if you are using that beta version please try uninstalling it... don't worry you'll have the previous version of IE after IE 8 is uninstalled...

hope it helps...
0 Kudos
SShell
Level 7

RE: IE 8 Beta 2?

Brilliant! I did install IE8beta2 recently. I returned to using IE7 and I can now interface with Mcafee. Thank you so very much. Happy Holidays!
0 Kudos
bua_ako
Level 7

RE: IE 8 Beta 2?

glad it's fixed! happy new year!
0 Kudos