cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hwedin
Level 7

McAfee Internet Security 2010 locks computer when used in conjunction with Malwarebytes

After renewing my McAfee subscription and downloaded the new version of McAfee (I did use Mc removal tool and fully removed Malwarebytes) and reinstalled Malwarebytes and made sure that it would start up after McAfee, but when I go to use McAfee it locks the computer up and can only be used in safe mode and when Malwarebytes is removed McAfee works fine but Malwarebytes works fine with McAfee (they both worked fine with McAfee Int. Sec. 2008/9) . I have used Malwarebytes support and they are at a loss as there should be no conflict as one is an anti-virus the other anti-malware so they detect things the other doesn't. I would be grateful if someone could help as they are both good products.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Internet Security 2010 locks computer when used in conjunction with Malwarebytes

Are you using the paid version of Malwarebytes?  If so you need to turn off active protection as that will clash with McAfee.  Malwarebytes is excellent as an on-demand scanner for the more strange types of malware but I always keep it in the background and don't have it starting with Windows.   When I need it I simply update it and run it then.

I believe it is 'Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware protection module' that you need to turn off.  They say it works with other protection software but I'm afraid that isn't always true.   We had a similar problem with Spybot Serach and Destroy's 'Teatimer' module in recent years.

Try that and see if it helps.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/09/10 8:15:18 EDT AM
0 Kudos
hwedin
Level 7

Re: McAfee Internet Security 2010 locks computer when used in conjunction with Malwarebytes

I have tried switching the protection module off but still no luck

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Try disabling MBAM startup with Windows and reboot, then see if it's OK.

0 Kudos
hwedin
Level 7

Hi, I have disabled the start up for malwarebytes but the same thing happens with mcafee and malwarebytes still works fine. The malwarebytes support team have tried seeing if it is a virus trace that is causing it or firewall settings but nothing changed

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Have you tried running MBAM in Safe Mode (after updating it of course) ti see if there is something lurking in the machine?

If all else fails I would try Technical Support Chat linked under 'Useful Links' at the top of this page.

Sorry I only have MBAM Free to compare notes with as that's all we ever recommend to people.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/09/10 10:34:21 EDT AM
0 Kudos
hwedin
Level 7

Yes, I have used malwarebytes, mcafee, avenger and combofix all of which have found nothing. so i'll contact tech support

thanks

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, good luck and it may be a good idea to escalate the issue with MBAM support also.

0 Kudos