cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

May Not Be Fully Protected Error - Tried everything I found on the forum & no luck

Every time I turn on my computer, my McAfee Security Center says that I am not protected and I have to click on "Fix" to correct the problem.  It says that the problem is that my real-time scanning is disabled along with some other services. 

We have Windows XP SP3, IE 7.0, a cable modem, and no other virus protection programs.  We do have the CCleaner program installed and have McAfee Security Center 9.15.

After this started I read that it might be an incompatibility with Windows Defender so I uninstalled it but no help there.

I ran Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and found no problems and ran MVT - Session ID was 21813486 - said it found 2 problems and fixed one.  The one that couldn't be fixed was 1 service that wasn't running.

I found in the FAQ section that it may be necessary to uninstall and reinstall McAfee (TS100511)

Based on the solutions I found here for similar problems, I uninstalled McAfee Security Center, then ran the MCPR.exe program to completely remove the program, rebooted and reinstalled McAfee Security Center.  I ran the updater, did a full system scan and found nothing.  The next day, we are back to experiencing the same issues again!

Ran MVT again – Session ID was 21874589, but IU had already clicked FIX before running MVT – it found not problems this time, yet some of our scanning services are stopping at random.

9 Replies
Highlighted

Re: May Not Be Fully Protected Error - Tried everything I found on the forum & no luck

Came home and back in Not Fully Protected Status, so I ran MVT again - Session ID was 21880038

Highlighted
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 10

Re: May Not Be Fully Protected Error - Tried everything I found on the forum & no luck

Hi,

Try the following steps.

1.       Check & delete if you have any third party security software in control panel , or third party security software folders in C:/program files or common files,

2.       Start – run >> then type services.msc – It will open up the Services (Local) window,

3.       The ‘start up type’ for all the mcafee services in the list should be automatic, if not double click on the service which is not in automatic & change the start up type to automatic,

4.       Click recovery tab (at the top) change all the three failures to “restart the service” click Apply & Ok ,

5.       Close all open programs & restart the computer,

6.       Open security center & check for updates.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Mcafee Online community Moderator

on 11/17/09 6:55 AM
Highlighted

Thanks for the response.  In the services McAfee Scanner was in Manual and McAfee Application Instataller Cleanup was in Auto, but not started.  Both of those are now in auto and startetd.  I'll try the restart and update now.

Highlighted

When I restarted, I checked for updates and was current.  Then I rechecked the services running and found that McAfee SystemGuards was started but in Manual.  I changed it to Auto, restarted again, checked for updates and again found I was current.  Rechecked the services, and McAfee SystemGuards was started but still in Manual.   I changed it to Auto again, was double sure to hit "Apply" and restarted again with the same result.  Is that normal?

Looking at another thread, I am running Malwarebytes Anti-malware program now.

Highlighted

Ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware at the advice of PEACEKEEPER and they found some issues. Left for work and came home to find McAfee completely disabled this time.  MVT Session ID 21958094.  MVT fixed 2 out of the 3 issues found and I had to open up the Services and Start McAfee Real Time Scanner & set it to Auto start and also set McAfee System Guards to Auto start.  Any more ideas?

Highlighted
Level 16
Message 7 of 10

Hi,

As mentioned in my previous post did you check for any conflicting third party security softwares in C:/program files & common files before enabling the mcafee services in services.msc?

If your computer is infected with a Trojan,errors might occur when you attempt to update McAfee Consumer products or  may experience update failures, and will be unable to receive the latest Virus Definition (DAT) files. Try the upated stinger tool and inform me of its results.

Download the Stinger tool from the link below:

http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

Double-click Stinger and select Preferences.
Enable the Report Applications option.
Click OK.
Click Scan Now and allow the scan to complete.

NOTE: During the scan, you may receive a clean error during on certain .cab files. Ignore the error and allow the scan to complete. The files will be removed when the system is restarted.

Restart your computer and update in security center .

Regards,

Dinesh  K

Highlighted

Not sure how to check for conflicting third party security softwares in C:/program files & common files, but the only other Adware, spyware programs I've ever installed on this computer were Windows Defender and CCleaner.  Both have been removed as of a few days ago and there are no traces of them in the Program Files folders. 

I downloaded and ran Stinger.  It reported that 190,608 clean files were scanned.  It did not say anything about infected files.  I went to "File" and "Save Report to File" and it gave me the path as C: Documents & Settings \ Laurie\ local \ temporary internet files \ content.ie5 \ evejsfew \ stinger[1].txt.  That path does not exist - it dead ends at Laurie - there is no Local folder in that directory.  I ran a search on "stinger[1].txt and no file by that name was found.

Suggestions?

Highlighted
Level 16
Message 9 of 10

Hi ,
Did you check under hidden files & folders?

From the location (Laurie); Click tools (at the top), then click folder options
click the "View" tab, put a check mark on show hidden files and folders .
click Apply and Ok

Thanks,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator.

Highlighted

I did check for hidden folders and the path does not exist.  I finally threw in the towel, uninstalled McAfee and loaded AVG Antivirus, ran a full scan again - nothing found and all is working fine.  I'm done with McAfee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community