cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jedd
Level 7

Issue with video streaming

Hi All,

I am running BT Netprotect Plus - which I believe is security Centre Version 9 - please correct me if I am wrong.

If I have Mcafee running and go to the following website

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=streaming&cam_type=streaming

This should automatically show streaming video from NY Times Sq (Camera 1)

It does not - it says it's connecting to media and then just sits on ready with a blank screen.

Lots of posts here say that this is not being blocked by Mcafee - but I totally disagree.

If I stop Mcafee Firewall Component Only - the page displays correctly immediately.

As soon as I restart the firewall - it stops.

There are no messages in the logs to say that it has blocked anything.

I have the latest versions of all components.

Without an indication of what's being blocked, I cant determine what to do !!

HEELLPPP !!!!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

RE: Issue with video streaming

I tried it in Firefox 3 and had to install the Windows Media Player plugin, but then I got just a black screen.

According to the help page here: http://www.earthcam.com/site/player_help.php I need the latest Flash player...I've already got it and even reinstalling it I failed to get it to work in Firefox.

I then tried in IE8. It worked fine and I have Security Center 9 so it can't be McAfee that's doing it, more likely a combination of non-default browser settings and McAfee is the icing on the cake...maybe?

Perhaps it's just a question of allowing the right thing through the firewall, but what?

Open Security Center by double-clicking the taskbar icon.

Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Internet & Network (top left)
Click Advanced (right)
Click Program Permissions (left)

Check for anything blocked ot one way access only. You can also add programs there.
0 Kudos
jedd
Level 7

Yea - that's exactly my problem. I don't think Mcafee is specifically blocking it - but there is obviously a component of the various parts - that needs enabling.

I have tried the programs and adding any that I can think of - so far to no avail - I'll have a look at IE settings and see if I can find anything in there
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

All I can think of offhand would be add Windows Media Player, Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave Player if installed.

I'll ask around.
0 Kudos
jedd
Level 7

Thanks - Already added those - to no avail.

Be grateful if you can ask around.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I work from home so I can't physically ask anyone, but I have posted in the Technicians area so hopefully someone will come along soon.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The consensus is that it is most likely a Windows Media Player issue.We all can watch it without any problem.

Have you set the firewall to lockdown by any chance?
0 Kudos
jedd
Level 7

Nope - firewall is not in lockdown - WMP is set to allow both ways I'll try a re-installl of media player - see if that works
0 Kudos
jedd
Level 7

I have narrowed it down a little.

That particular website uses .ASX files to launch WMP.

Now I just need to find out what (if anything) WMP launches in addition to the wmp.exe to run this type of file extension.
0 Kudos